Chapter 12

Dani took the car and drove around town for a bit. She tried to reach the rehab center but was told they were on an activity and weren't taking calls. She grunted in frustration at all the missed calls from Katherine. She wasn't ready to talk to her yet, not now, not after finding out she never actually asked for help when Dani needed it so badly.

Years of frustration and anger towards Katherine had been threatening to boil over for years now. She wasn't quite sure she was ready to have that fight yet, so she opted not to call back. Let her worry; she wasn't in the mood. 

She was here in Sun City, making more money than she had ever dreamed of. She was going to enjoy her first day off. When was the last time she had a job she enjoyed this much? Granted, it was early on, but she loved caring for Gavin. What a sweetheart of a little boy.

"Now you know where he gets it." She mumbled. Rocco was Gavin's hero, as he should be. Rocco was just as polite and kind. How in the world did her bitchy sister manage to get so lucky anyway?

"She is the chosen one," she muttered before entering the coffee shop.

"Dani, it's nice to see you again." Rocco's friend greeted her as she walked inside.

"Hi, Breanna," Dani smiled, and she returned it with a friendly one of her own.

Breanna had an easygoing, natural smile that made her feel at ease. She had her dark blonde hair tied into low pigtails and was dressed in a long floral maxi dress with a pair of heeled boots.

Breanna led her over to a table. "Come sit. I'll make you a drink and take a short break. What can I get you?"

"Um double mocha."

"Whipped cream?"

"Is there any other way?"

"I think I like you already." Breanna smiled and left to make her the drink. 

Dani fished out her phone and started thumbing through all her new pictures of Gavin.

"Oh gosh, he is just so cute." Breanna returned and peered over her shoulder at a picture of Gavin with the dog they had met at the park.

"You should have seen how he lit up playing with Shelby." Dani mused. "It was adorable."

"Mm, this is awesome." Dani sipped the drink. "Thank you."

"Of course; how do you like Sun City so far?"

"It's different." Dani shrugged. "It's really beautiful and so nice out all the time. But how is it possible that everyone you see looks like they walked off a TV set or a magazine?"

"You live on a pretty wealthy side of town," Breanna explained. "Most of these women probably have stylists and makeup people before they leave the house."

"What?" Dani laughed. "Every day?"

"Your sister's crew comes to the house to prepare her for events."

"That doesn't surprise me." Dani rolled her eyes.

"You two seem really different," Breanna noted.

"Yeah, we are. I don't know her that well. We didn't grow up together."

"Oh yeah, where did you grow up?"

"Oaktown"

"I heard it's pretty there in the winter."

"I do love the snow coming off the mountains," Dani mused, "but the mountains themselves were a few hours drive from me., Oaktown's pretty boring."

"I grew up in England, and we moved to the States as a young girl. We loved New York growing up. I enjoyed the different seasons quite a bit. I find snow very romantic," Breanna sat across from her.