Chapter 35

The following day Dani woke up to the wonderful smell of bacon and coffee. She glanced at her bedside clock, surprised to see it was nearly nine am. She had never slept this late. However, they did stay up very late last night. She felt a blush come over her cheeks as she remembered a certain moment. His hand against her cheek, how he looked at her, leaned into her.

It was probably just the wine, she told herself. It had to be. But something changed after that moment, and she knew he felt it too. They didn't talk much after that. They just sat together and watched the flames dance.

Neither of them seemed to want the night to end; it wasn't until she could hardly keep her eyes open that she reluctantly bid him goodnight.

She heard him come in only a short time after her. As her head hit the pillow, she thought she'd pass right out, but instead, she'd had a night of tossing and turning. A certain someone haunted her dreams, and she couldn't get his image from her mind. He looked at her like...no one had ever looked at her. It nearly melted her right there and then.

She groaned a little as she got up and stood. Her legs were sore from the hike the other day. She stretched them out as best she could and slipped on her favorite oversized sweatshirt over the leggings she'd gone to sleep in. Her hair was a ratty mess from tossing and turning, and she probably still smelled like a campfire, but she was too hungry to care.

She headed to the kitchen to find Gavin sitting at the table with Kiki. He was eating a piece of bacon, and Rocco was frying some eggs on the stove.

"Hi, Auntie Dani!" His little face just made her mornings every time. She smiled brightly back at him.

"Good morning, Tiger." She patted his head.

"Good morning, sunshine." Rocco turned to glance at her, his trademark smirk back in place.

"Morning," she said, stifling a little yawn.

His eyes lingered a second longer than they should, and she felt that weak feeling in her knees again. He was wearing a sweat and a tee shirt and hadn't looked like he'd showered yet.

She made her way over to the coffee pot and poured herself a mug while he finished the eggs.

"So, what's the plan for today?" She asked as she made her way to the table. She cringed just slightly as she sat down.

"You, okay?" The look of concern on his face took her aback.

"Oh, I'm fine." She assured him. "My legs are just sore from that hike, still."

"Then the plan is to take it easy today." He slid a plate of eggs and bacon in front of her. "Protein will help."

"I need to hit the gym more often." She laughed a little.

"Not from where I'm sitting." He murmured then his eyes widened as he realized what he'd said. He quickly got up and started getting Gavin's plate ready.

She was glad she wore a sweatshirt because goosebumps were all over her arms.

He set Gavin's plate down and sat down across from her. They ate quietly while Gavin chatted about the fish he caught yesterday. He was so excited he hardly ate anything before he insisted he got down.

Once they'd finished eating, she cleared the dishes, but Rocco stood up and placed his arm over hers.

"I got this." He said in that velvety smooth voice of his. "Go relax; rest your legs."

"That couch does look pretty cozy," she commented gratefully.

"Then go sit. Enjoy your coffee. We have a big climb coming up this week." He reminded her that his voice had a teasing tone, but he looked a little worried.