Chapter 3

Paridhi's pov :

Ashwattama.

I was taken aback as my heart raced uncontrollably, as if it were about to burst out of my chest. The sheer astonishment left me speechless, questioning the reality of it all. Completely engrossed in her words, I stood motionless with my mouth agape, my focus solely on Ashwatthama.

"Every month, he visits Kasol to pay his respects to Lord Shiva. In his quest for sustenance, the locals make arrangements for food near the temple. However, if anyone happens to catch a glimpse of him, it is said to bring about dire consequences." she concluded.

The supper was prepared, she brought it to me, and declared "You are not going anywhere, consume your meal and rest, child." I was taken aback; this was my final opportunity as the succeeding amawas would not arrive for another month, a luxury I could not afford. I must find a way to go, regardless.

After consuming the meal, I assisted Dadi with the task of washing the dishes, and later feigned going to bed. The time was 5.30, and I stepped out onto the balcony, greeted by a serene atmosphere. There was no hustle and bustle, no signs of activity; just the gentle chirping of birds and the soothing sound of the flowing river water.

I made my way into the bedroom, making sure to bring along a camera and a microphone. Quietly, I tiptoed out of Dadi's room, feeling a mixture of fear and excitement. Taking a deep breath, I unlocked the door and stepped outside. The stillness of the night was almost deafening, amplifying the sound of my own heartbeat.

The town was undeniably beautiful. I caught sight of the Shiv temple in the distance, and it was truly massive. A cautionary sign, displaying a danger symbol, was prominently displayed to deter anyone from entering. The sign clearly stated, "Access prohibited after 5 PM."

I was absolutely terrified, to be honest. As I entered, I was captivated by the exquisite craftsmanship and stunning wooden architecture made of Sheesham wood. The interior boasted intricate miniatures of various Hindu deities, and there was even a charming little pond nestled in the midst. After offering my prayers to Lord Shiva, I began searching for a secure hiding spot for myself.

The space was already adorned with numerous earthen pots filled with milk and kheer. A delightful assortment of fruits, along with delectable treats such as mathri, sweets, laddoos, and barfis, adorned the surroundings.

A small trunk, with limited space, was positioned near the wall, directly facing the shivlinga. It served as the optimal hiding spot. I carefully stored my belongings inside and swiftly nestled into the bedding.

As the day grew darker, the temple lights illuminated the surroundings, yet fear gripped me. What if something were to happen? No, I reassured myself, I will not meet my demise. I pleaded for Bholenath to protect me.

Time elapsed, and nothing eventful occurred. Boredom consumed me. The truck remained enveloped in complete darkness, rendering it impossible to open without any indication. Exhausted, I yearned for sleep, but it eluded me.

Eventually, slumber overcame me. The stillness of the surroundings facilitated my rest. I found myself dreaming, encountering the recurring presence of a boy. He wore a smile and gently placed his hands on my cheeks, questioning, "Are you certain you can accomplish it?"

"I Don't know, are we gonna meet"? I said.

"of course, very soon" he replied.

A resounding voice resonated as a colossal copper plate crashed to the ground, emitting a deafening sound. I was overcome with fear. My entire body quivered, my heart raced, and my head throbbed. My eyes widened, and I abruptly awoke, trembling.