Common Sense isn't Common

For this reason, there have been times when Jay has felt superior

For this reason, there have been times when Jay has felt superior. It's only natural he does since he is the only person who is able to take the most logical course of action. Of course, though, there have also been times when Jay has been humbled for assuming his superiority.

As he observes Gannet sleeping soundly, clinging to the hero in the nude, Jay realizes this is one of those times—he is not superior, he is an idiot. How did he end up here?! Literal bedfellows with a villain?

One might think it was just a momentary lapse of judgment, a bad choice caused by alcohol...but Jay had only been drunk on words, last night. He shivers as he remembers—I'm sorry, but that's not enough for me.

Looking back at their interactions, it probably should've been more obvious how Gannet felt. It probably wouldn't have been hard to ignore it and have them continue as friends...but Jay had mucked it all up by accepting the villain's advances. Now, the universe was punishing him for thinking poorly of all the other supers by entrapping him in the villain's iron grip.

Jay sighs, glancing at the sleeping man. He flushes as he notes the hickies which speckle   Gannet's neck. He grits his teeth, resisting the urge to run his fingers over the evidence of his misbehavior.

Soon though, the hero is rescued from the clutches of the villain by an unlikely source—Java.

The cat leaps onto the bed, landing on Jay's chest with a trilling "mroooow!"

Gannet releases Jay from his hold, turning his focus to the black cat. The feline squeaks in protest as the dark-haired man pulls it into his arms.

"Good morning kitty," he coos groggily, burying his face in fluff.

Jay clears his throat, causing Gannet to jolt and flick his eyes open.

"Oh," the villain purrs, "I thought I just had a really good dream last night. You're really here..."

A laugh is startled out of Jay. "Yeah, ah, good morning."

Gannet sits up, stretching sinuously. "Mmm, are you hungry? I can make you some breakfast?"

"No, I have to get to work. Can I, uh, use your shower?"

"Go ahead."

"Thanks..."

Jay absconds to the bathroom, sighing as he's finally alone. He pulls his mask off, relieved to finally let his skin breathe. His hair is totally askew–standing at strange angles, stiff from sweat.

He starts the shower, sighing as he steps under the hot spray. As he observes Gannet's impressive collection of hair-care products, he can't help but begin to overanalyze what happened last night.

Most people would probably just say they'd given into temptation and had a one-night stand. But Jay, as a rule, doesn't do one-night stands. He only sleeps with people he's formed a close connection to...so what does it mean that he felt so comfortable with Gannet?