Villains are Made, Not Born

PROJECT CHIMERA - RESEARCHER ZENITH

DATE: 01/01/2024

SUBJECT: 2510M

AGE OF SUBJECT: 8 weeks

NOTES: At 8-weeks of gestation, we have finally accomplished our goal. Terminating one of the twins, we were able to induce the absorption of its fetal tissue into the living one, creating the world's first medically-induced genetic chimera. Tests reveal that the subject is already showing regenerative capabilities, and even is able to manifest shadows in self-defense. Though, I am formally ordering a cessation of regeneration testing. We don't need any more casualties in the laboratory—12 is enough for now.

The screen changes to a new scene. A bubbling tube, filled with a clear, viscous, orange fluid. Jay feels sick as he recognizes what's floating in the center, pink and curled up—a fetus.

Jay swallows back bile, head spinning. So Gannet truly is a clone. They grew him in a fucking tube and, and—fuck, tortured him even before he was a person. How does someone justify such clear crimes against humanity? Jay can't help but feel a vicious pleasure learning that the scientists who conducted the initial tests died.

PROJECT CHIMERA - RESEARCHER ZENITH

DATE: 01/23/30

SUBJECT: 2510M

AGE OF SUBJECT: 5

NOTES: For the past 5 years, Subject 2510M had been displaying mostly typical behaviors for a developing child, albeit one with signs of ADHD. However, recently, he has been more impulsive, aggressive, and defiant. Cognitive testing is underway.

The screen switches to a new scene. It's a barren, white-tiled room, with a small bed in the corner. In the center is a small table where a familiar purple-haired child is sitting patiently. He's fiddling with his hospital gown, little sock-covered feet kicking in boredom as he waits.

Gannet.

The little Gannet smiles as Zenith enters the room. Zenith doesn't return the smile.

"Good morning, 2510. How did your lessons go today?"

"Good. I read a lot of books and learned a lot of words."

"Very good. To reward you, we're going to play a game."

"A game?"

"Yes."

Zenith pulls out a bag—marshmallows.

"This is a marshmallow. Have you had one before?"

"No."

"It's very yummy and sweet. Here are the rules of this game. I'm going to place this marshmallow here, on the table, then I will leave. If you can resist eating it before I come back, I will give you two more marshmallows."

Gannet fidgets in his seat excitedly. "Okay."

Zenith nods as he places the marshmallow on the table. "I will return shortly."

Zenith leaves the room, leaving Gannet with the marshmallow. Jay can't help but smile at the intense look Gannet gives it. He's staring it down like it's about to flee from the room. He pokes it, finger squishing into the fluff, before he picks it up to sniff it.