Supers are Fabulous

Indeed, they are unquestionably fabulous

Indeed, they are unquestionably fabulous. Nobody could argue otherwise after witnessing the sheer extravagance and glamor that permeates both the dramatic displays of villainy and the triumphant cape-waving of heroes.

As a consequence, citizens take note. Supers are more than just overpowered circus monkeys wrecking skyscrapers, they're fantastical escapes from the mundane routines of life. The delicate balance between a super, their secret identity, and their mundane life is relatable to many groups who call Texas home.

One such group is the thriving drag community, alive and well in 2050 even after decades of pushback and bigotry from small-minded Texans. But a community doesn't come out unchanged after such vitriol. No, they come back stronger, with more glitter, to open places like Baddies as their grounds to congregate.

As a hero, Jay supposes he should dislike a nightclub themed after the villains of Neo Houston, but he can't really bring himself to care. There were actual villains out there to worry about—Jay isn't going to get his panties in a twist over a club which likes to plaster images of Razzmatazz, Alleycat, and Stygian on their walls.

Jay snorts into his Shirley Temple at the phrase panties in a twist. Ironically, it is only his undergarments which remain un-feminized tonight; that's right, Jay is undercover—as a Drag Queen.

The hero sighs, wondering if anyone in the bustling club would notice him dropping a shot of vodka into his drink. It's not like he has anything against drag, but he can't help but feel uncomfortable under the mounds of makeup, scratchy fabric, and fake hair. Worst of all, he's been forced to confront his number one enemy, his true nemesis; high heels. Jay scowls at the set of periwinkle kitten heels, willing them transmorph into his usual boots. But the shoes stubbornly remain as Delta slides into the booth next to Jay.

"Cheer up! You gotta play the part, Quickwit..."

The hero glances at the disguised heroine. She's holding a bright blue mocktail delicately, somewhat dispelling the illusion that she is a man with blond stubble. Then again, Jay can picture Gannet doing the same.

The thought of the villain makes Jay redirect his view to the massive poster of Stygian on the wall. It looks new, and Jay realizes a blue boot is peeking from the corner of the image. Someone must've taken a photo of Stygian battling Quickwit, and cropped the sidekick out. The hero understands; he is not good at glamor. The ugly bow-filled dress he's wearing is a testament to that.

"I just think this is a bad idea, Delta. You're the one who's used to the limelight. You're a model in your free time—I'm just a sidekick."

"It's not fair to the other contestants if a non-drag queen goes on stage! It needs to be authentic."

"I'm going to make a fool of myself..."

"No, hey, you're going to do great, Quickwit! Put some pep in your step, you just need to go talk to some others and try to sniff out if any of them are villains, okay? Once we catch the rat we can leave..."