Supers get Hurt

Hero or villain, it was a fact that superpowers come with a lot more than just great responsibility

Hero or villain, it was a fact that superpowers come with a lot more than just great responsibility. They came with grievous bodily harm. In Jay's experience, these injuries could range from minor scrapes, to the loss of limbs, or in his case, impalement.

While one might assume higher-level supers were an exception to the rule, but that's not quite the cases. To date, there hasn't been a superhuman who was invulnerable to all forms of injury. Even Alphaman has been observed bleeding before. There are no gods in Neo Houston masquerading as men.

That being said, Jay still somehow forgot the injury Stygian received during the battle last week. It seemed inconsequential when his healing factor was on display constantly. What was there to worry about when all injuries fade like paper cuts? Unfortunately, however, this seems to be one of the rare times Jay's common sense malfunctioned.

"What do you mean it's not healed?"

"It won't close..."

Jay paces around his apartment. "It's not healed at all?"

"Well, it did a little. But it's not like normal."

"You didn't think to tell me sooner? Gannet."

"I was afraid. Jay, I don't know what to do..."

"Okay, okay, just stay where you are. I'm coming."

"Okay."

Quickly, Jay begins collecting the essentials. He grabs his first aid kit and keys before pulling on a hoodie and heading out the door. Luckily, the road is slow tonight. Jay breezes through the sparse traffic before getting onto the more rural roads. It only takes him about 45 minutes driving full speed to reach Texas and Taurrage's ranch house.

As he arrives, Jay rushes from his van and toward the door. He neglects to knock, barging in and immediately seeking out the nearest person. It's Texas—he startles, nearly falling off the oversized couch in fright at the sudden entrance.

"What the hell! Quickwiz—"

"Where is Gannet?"

Texas frowns. "He's locked himself in the guest room. Don't count on getting inside. Sebastian's been trying all day. Damned kid refuses help."

"We'll see."

"Try if you don't believe me! The clown already did. She got here before you."

"Razzmatazz is here?"

"She's still trying to get him out."

Jay heads down the hall from the kitchen, finding Razz with her ear to the door. "Gannet, Jay is here."

Shadows hold the door firmly shut. Jay touches them gently, finding a slight warmth under his hand. "Gannet, it's me."

The darkness slides away. Jay enters the room slowly, finding Gannet on the bed. He's bundled in blankets, anxious eyes peeking from the dark.