Superhero Kids Don't Make Sense

This is a point of contention that Jay will never ever let go

How does it make sense, at all, to allow irrational children to wield superpowers willy-nilly?!

So of course, because the universe hates him, his new partner is Aquarikid.

"Aquarikid," he hisses, "really? You assigned me to Aquarikid!?"

Darius is unfazed in the face of Jay's outrage, calmly sipping his coffee as he smooths out his dark hair. "Pixamena claimed you...had a lot to say...about how she did her job. We thought you might be suited then to a partner who might benefit from your tendency to give unsolicited advice."

The man sets his coffee down, cold brown eyes evenly meeting Jay's green ones. "Besides, we worry that Pixamena's image was at risk of being damaged by your suggestions."

Jay glares at the man, clenching the shitty chair they had him sitting in. He hates this sterile white room, the stupid faux plants that decorate every surface, and the snobbish look of superiority on the director's face.

He just wants to help people, why won't they let him!?

"I don't understand, all I did was try to do the right thing. I realize now I wasn't as considerate as I should have been, but how was I realistically hindering Pixamena from doing her job?

Darius' eyes narrow. "Quickwit, you didn't hinder her ability to be a hero, but you were threatening her public image as a magical girl. Do you understand what would happen if she lost that title?"

The sidekick folds his arms, grinding his teeth. "I imagine the Network would lose revenue on Pixamena play sets?"

Darius leans forward. "They might stop associating Pixamena with fairy wings and tutus and start associating her with her ability to conjure things from thin air...in any space..."

Jay blinks, thinking for a moment before he realizes what Darius is saying. "So you're saying you're trying to keep people from realizing Pixamena could conjure a pair of heels where their heart is?"

Darius nods. "The Texan Hero Network does everything for a reason, Quickwit. Every persona, outfit, and assigned partner is meticulously thought out...all we ask is that you trust us so you can keep doing what you love; helping the citizens of Neo Houston."

Jay sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Still, do I really have to be partnered with Aquarikid? It's a bit embarrassing to be the sidekick of a child."

The director leans back, steepling his hands. "It's not permanent. We've decided to...shall we say, let various heroes take you for a test run. By the end of the year, we hope that you'll have gained some interpersonal skills and a partner eager to work with you."

The sidekick is fuming now. "So you're just going to keep transferring me from hero to hero?"

Darius stands, straightening his suit. "Exactly. And if you desire to stay contracted with the Network, you'll find someone who actually wants you."