Villains Have Lairs

You can tell a lot about a villain by examining where they plot their evil plans

You can tell a lot about a villain by examining where they plot their evil plans. Texas has his farmhouse, where he proves himself a man by working his herd of longhorns, Techtra had her hovership, where the cold steel complemented her cold heart, and even Massasauga (though not technically a villain) has his gaudy golden skyscraper, where plans his idiotic new inventions.

But Stygian, well...Stygian's lair used to be his modest little apartment. After his identity was leaked, however, the villain's home was no longer a safe space. Now he was forced to take shelter here, in the home of Texas and Taurrage. Despite the circumstances It's not too bad. At least they're safe and comfortable for now, even if the prospect of seeing Texas every morning until Jay is recovered is a bit daunting.

But that prospect is far from the blond's mind as he slumbers peacefully. He only awakens deep in the night to the sound of hard rain against the farmhouse roof, finding himself spooning a pajama-clad Gannet. He snuggles in more, burying his nose in violet hair.

"Are you awake?" Gannet whispers.

"No," Jay grumbles, voice deep from sleep.

The villain giggles, turning around. "Are you feeling okay?"

"M'fine. The storm woke me up."

"It seems pretty rough out there. Do you think Hurrikate is responsible?"

"Nah. It's just because it's October. Gonna have rain."

Gannet hums in agreement, and they both lapse into a comfortable silence. A large boom of thunder shakes the little farmhouse, causing Jay to hug tighter, eyes cracking open to watch the following lightning zing outside. The flash of light illuminates the room, revealing several dark shapes floating about in the air.

"Are you trying to protect us with that? Or do you just manifest them without trying?" Jay asks.

"A little of both."

The blond lifts his hand into the air, causing the shadows to come closer. They begin to swirl around his arm, glowing dimly with otherworldly purples and blues.

The amazing sight conjures a hazy memory from the past. Jay recalls visiting the aquarium with his parents as a child. Even back then the world had seemed so complicated, but he'd forgotten for a moment watching the peaceful jellyfish glow vibrantly under the blacklight.

"Do you think I'll be able to manifest powers like this?"

Gannet is quiet for a moment, the shadows jolting in agitation.

"Gannet?"

"You should stop thinking about superpowers and just focus on recovering. "

"I've been waiting my whole life to be useful. Forgive me for asking if I finally got a power-up," Jay huffs.

"I already told you, you've  always had good powers. It's everyone else who sucked."

"Right..."

"I'm serious. You were fine before, and at least before, you knew what to expect. I don't even—I don't even know if I did the right thing, using my powers like that.