A Free Day

A/N: Woof. Sure has been a while hasn't it? Apologies, but I have a bit to say here before we get on with the fic
First of all, I actually originally published this fic in August of 2022. I'm sorry it took me so long, it's just such a pain to import fics here (what with glitches in the app and all that) that I put it off for forever.
Second, this fic was actually featured in a sfw Soriku zine called "Darling Dearest". It's a free zine centered upon domesticity, and I was excited to have the privilege of making a piece for it. If you're interested in the zine's concept or like my piece, I would highly suggest checking it out and downloading it here: https://sorikuzine.itch.io/darling-dearest
Third, this fic is actually the third in a series I call the "Baby Yozora AU". The first is "Yozora's Birthday", with the second fic being "Alone Time" (I did not post Alone Time here, just because it's a smut fic I wrote to flesh out the fade to black scene I originally wrote in "Yozora's Birthday". If that interests you, you can find it on my ao3, or I can shoot you a link). That being said, though, you don't have to read either of the other two to understand this one. This rare bout of fluff from me can be enjoyed as a standalone!!
And finally, content warning. There is some implied nudity, since Sora and Riku will be bathing together. However, this fic is wholly sfw and not explicit by any means. It's just about the nonsexual intimacy of it all.
I hope you all enjoy!🥰

♡♡♡♡♡♡

Every morning when Riku wakes up, all he can remember from his slumber is darkness—he's had the hardest time remembering his own dreams since he became Sora’s dream eater. Then, just like every morning, everything is dark one moment, his body prone. The next, it's as if a bright fluorescent light switches on in his brain, the accompanying electrical whine included. He's painfully awake now, yet anchored through the floor by the dredging weight of sleep.

The world around him is merely a murmur. Mumbles, jumbled words, and sounds from someone beside him fill his brain, all unintelligible.

"H…mm…huh?" Riku breathes, voice a little hoarse, when there's a softness—a touch of pressure—against his forehead. Then, when that pressure is against his lips, he groans, barely able to squint an eye open.

"It sure takes one to know one, huh?" comes giggles from beside him. "You know, Riku…"

There's warm breath against Riku's cheek, melting his heart.

"...You're such a sleepyhead."

Riku turns his head towards the person beside him, expressionless aside from the squinted eye. None of what the person says registers in Riku’s head as more than an unintelligible murmur, but almost by instinct alone, Riku knows the person beside him. He can’t quite see properly yet, but he knows who it is.

Sora…

Despite himself, a giggle falls out of Riku's mouth.

"But…you're my sleepyhead," Sora adds after a moment.

As time goes on, more mumbles and jumbled words fill his brain; fortunately, the flow of time allows his brain to register new words more clearly. Then, once the cogs in his brain are properly turning, a realization strikes him.

"Y-You're… Sora… You're…here?" Then, his eyes shoot open as his body jolts. "Sora!" he just barely whispers, urgency pervading his tone. "Why are–?"

Sora shushes him, holding a finger to his lips. "Remember?"

Riku's eyebrows scrunch up just before a yawn wracks him.

Remember what?

"We have a free day," Sora reminds him, smiling.

Right. Right.