I'm a Guy Like Me

"Kairi...are you sure it's fine? I feel so terrible..."

Kairi sighs, "Sora...I know you've been confused on your feelings ever since you woke up..." She shakes her head, "But I can't have you trying to protect my feelings."

"I know..."

"Although I love you...I can't force you to love me back, and you can't force yourself either." She puts a hand over her heart. "It's easier for me to move on. Sparing my feelings is just bad for both of us, so...please. I know you made your choice between him and I so...stop worrying about me. Go to him."

"Him?"

"I mean Riku."

"W-w-w-why Riku?"

"Because you're in love with him."

"N-n-no I'm not!" Sora hides his reddening face with his hands.

"There's no use trying to lie to me, silly!" Kairi laughs. "I've known you for a long time. You think I can't tell?"

"Uhh..." Sora puts a hand behind his head.

"That's what I thought. Honestly...you know I've watched you two. You two are so in sync when you fight together, and I can see the admiration radiating from you every time you look at him."

"That doesn't mean I love him though..." Sora argues. "We're best friends and we've been fighting together for a long time..."

"Maybe so...but I'm still right, right? You're in love with Riku. You chose him."

"I...I...I don't..."

"Don't try to lie to me, Sora. You know you suck at it."

Sora sighs, then says reluctantly, "Y-yeah...you're right. I'm...I'm in love...with...with Riku." He stares down at the ground for a second. "But...it's not like he loves me back..."

"How do you know?"

"I...I just...I just know...He could never love me back like that. He probably just sees me as the little brother he never had."

"Are...are you joking?"

Tears start to well up in Sora's eyes and he brings his head back up to face Kairi. "Does it look like I'm joking? I probably just annoy the crap out of him..."

"Well...you can be annoying at times."

"Hey!"

"But...I know Riku doesn't mind."

"He...he doesn't?" A few tears run down Sora's face.

"Sora. He looks at you like you're his entire world. Have you noticed he only really smiles when you're around?"

"Yeah, but...it's not like it means anything..."

"Sure it does. It means he really likes you."

"But...how do I know you're right? Of course he likes me...but more than a friend?"

Kairi sighs.

Sora. Why do you have to be so difficult? It's clear you won't believe me...even if I tell you over and over.

"I guess...you'll just have to ask him yourself."

"But...but what if he doesn't? What if he rejects me?"

"Sora. Are you seriously asking that after rejecting me?"

"I-I'm...I'm sorry, Kairi...I...I didn't mean-"

"It's fine," Kairi waves him off. "Just...if he rejects you, then you do your best to get over it. If he doesn't want you, then he's not the one for you."