How It Feels to Fly

Sora bounds into a run, sprinting across the shore of the island, kicking up sand as he goes. He doesn't know where his sudden burst of energy came from, having been snoozing on the beach earlier, but he is more than happy to roll with it. He lets his arms fly behind him as he goes faster and faster; however, the longer he sprints, the more he feels the tingle spreading through his upper back, and soon down to the tips of his brilliantly white but grey-tipped angel wings. The wind rushes into his face and around his body faster as he takes flight, climbing higher and higher with every wing flap until he finally stretches his wings out to glide. He revels in the excitement that comes from flying, but also the strange serenity of it, despite the strength of the winds around him and the height he is from the ground. This little play island he plays on with his friends looks even more beautiful from above. The little specks of his friends inching along below as he admires the treehouse, beautiful trees, the ocean, and, soon, the paopu fruit tree. He descends down towards the tree, slowing enough to not ram into the ground, but too fast to land on his feet successfully.

"Sora!" a voice calls from the direction of the tree.

Sora recognizes the voice almost immediately, looking in the direction of it as he rubs his bruised butt and pushes himself up. "Hey, Riku!" he calls back, waving to Riku.

Riku walks in a stride over to Sora, tall, proud, confidence radiating, even rolling off of him in waves, as he stretches his wings out and cracks his neck. He holds up a wooden sword in his right hand and smirks, "How about a spar? Just you and me."

"Well...Riku. Actually...could I talk with you about-"

"Are you going to fight? Or are you going to run back to Kairi a weakling?" Riku interrupts with a taunt.

'Yesterday' is what Sora was going to say before Riku interrupted him, but after Riku's interrupting taunt, his priorities shift. Anger wells up inside him. "I'm no weakling! I'll wipe the floor with you Riku!"

"I'd like to see you try. I mean...what's the score right now...twenty to two?"

It makes Sora even more angry knowing that Riku's statement is correct, but it makes him want to beat Riku even more. I'll beat him. I'll beat him and not only show Kairi that I'm not a weakling...but I'll prove to Riku that I can be just as strong as he is! Sora sprints over to the paopu tree to grab his own wooden sword off of it, then back where he bends over into his fighting stance in front of Riku.

"So I take it you accept the challenge?" A playful and confident smile snakes across Riku's face as he gets in his own fighting stance.

"I'll beat you!"

Riku doesn't have to wait long before Sora rushes in to strike, but he manages to block and counterattack. It's not hard for him to block Sora's attacks at first, and even in the event Sora manages to hit him and he falls into a backwards roll onto the ground, he easily manages to push himself up, both feet flying in Sora's direction.

I know that move. Sora manages to dodge, then strike again. The battle continues pretty back and forth for a while, but his focus on it slowly begins to decrease as it shifts more to Riku's wings. Something's not right. His wings...they... He goes in to strike Riku again. They're getting more and more gray. That...

Riku takes advantage of Sora's loss of focus to knock him to the ground, take Sora's wooden sword, and hold his own down to Sora's neck. "I win."

Sora stares up at Riku's wings, not really paying attention. Riku, what's...what's going on with you?

Riku nudges Sora in the side with his foot and throws Sora's own wooden sword down beside him, breaking Sora out of his trance.

Sora sits up and grabs his wooden sword. I guess...I really am a weakling.