You Are the Reason That I'm Still Breathing

A/N: I am actually so sorry! I finished this fic at the beginning of OCTOBER and I forgot to post it here too! ANYWAYS enjoy this canon divergent kh1 soriku fic

♡♡♡♡♡♡

Riku's eyes are closed as he faces the sea from the little islet. He inhales, taking in a deep breath, and a thought--just a feeling from his heart--rises into his mind.

Sora's coming.

And soon enough, the sound of wet shoes pelting wood strikes Riku's ears from behind.

"Where's Kairi? I thought she was with you!"

Of course. He can only think about her.

Sora's concerned--almost accusatory--tone annoys Riku, but he doesn't let the emotion take him over. "The door...has opened…"

"What?"

Riku's eyes shoot open and he stomps his left foot down to his left. His head follows his body--also facing his left now--and he side eyes Sora. "The door has opened, Sora!" He curls his hands into fists, completely facing Sora now. "Now we can go to the outside world!"

"What are you talking about? We gotta find Kairi!"

"Kairi's coming with us!" Riku shouts back.

Come with me, Sora.

Sora gasps after hearing Riku's outburst.

"Once we step through, we might not be able to come back."

Kairi only ever thinks about you.

"We may never see our parents again. There's no turning back."

And you're only ever thinking about her.

"But this may be our only chance. We can't let fear stop us!" He announces not just to Sora, but to the whole world, "I'm not afraid of the darkness!"

But now that'll all change.

Riku reaches out his right hand for Sora, palm up. He smirks, but it's soft, inviting rather than playful.

Come on, Sora. Let's go!

"...Riku…?" A nervous look makes its way onto Sora’s face as he looks down to Riku's feet, where darkness pools, and the tendrils of it snake around his body.

Riku is unaware of the darkness surrounding him, even the storm at this point. All he can see is Sora, rushing forward, desperately reaching for Riku's hand with his own right hand, palm down.

Just a little bit more and you'll make it.

Darkness flares up around Sora, and from Riku's point of view, Sora's hand seems like it's about to retract.

"...Sora?" The annoyance--the anger--rises in Riku's heart again. Of course he knew deep down Sora wouldn't take his hand, but he had really hoped that he would.

He really doesn't care about me anymore.

"Riku."

Riku's eyes go wide as Sora's face re-enters his field of vision, his hand held in his.

Riku's hand goes numb as he gives Sora's perpetually warm hand a squeeze, not believing Sora to really be there at first. He opens his mouth as if to say something, but nothing comes out.

Sora…

The waves lapping at the shore of Riku's heart somehow carry his fears away, and all of the annoyance, the anger, and (most of) the jealousy.