Reunion

Warning: KH3 Spoilers Ahead!

Riku remembers when he started his journey. It had been only a few hours after he and the rest of the keyblade weilders (including Donald, Goofy, and Naminé) arrived at Destiny Islands and took a beach day on the play island, both to celebrate the defeat of Xehanort and to distract everyone (him especially) from Sora's leave to save Kairi.

He remembers really believing, really holding onto the hope that Sora would return, and pouring his energy into having fun on that beach day.

He also remembers the way his heart shattered when Kairi returned, and Sora didn't.

Kairi had tears in her eyes as she broke the news of Sora's disappearance to Riku, and Riku...fell to his knees. He didn't blame Sora or Kairi, and he couldn't. He knew Sora would never be able to live knowing he could help a friend come back, and Kairi couldn't help that Sora's decision to save her had caused his disappearance.

But that didn't keep him from being frustrated, and as he sat there on his knees, he was frustrated because there was no one to blame, no one for him to be angry at. So, of course, he blamed himself.

It wasn't long after Kairi broke the news to everyone else that Yen Sid called everyone to the Mysterious Tower because of a new threat, and when Riku had announced that he would go after Sora, many tried to stop him.

Yen Sid lectured Riku of the dangers of misusing the power of waking like Sora had, but even he knew that wouldn't stop him. And when Mickey expressed that he might never return, Riku spoke part of the truth.

"I have to bring him back. He's my best friend, and we need him if we want to have a greater chance against the new enemy." Riku was ashamed of the rest of the truth, and felt far from selfless in that moment. Of course he cared about saving the worlds, but deep in his heart, he wanted Sora back, and he would do anything just to make that happen.

It's my fault he disappeared, and if I can do anything to bring him back, I will. No matter what.

Kairi had protested, "Riku, please bring me with you, or at least Aqua or Mickey. We can't let you go after Sora alone." She had watched Sora fade away, and she couldn't let both of her best friends lose themselves.

Yen Sid was the one who shook his head. "Sorry, Kairi...but I'm afraid that this is something that Riku must do alone. Mickey or Aqua or even you could go, and possibly even succeed, but there is no denying that Riku stands the best chance of returning with Sora."

Riku nodded, but Kairi and the rest lowered their gazes, because they knew Yen Sid was right.

The following day, after preparation, while everyone else was given their missions with the threat in mind, Riku was rowing up to the play island. He figured going where he could better connect to Sora's heart would be best, so once he docked at the island and stood on the dock, he let his heart reach out for even the faintest hint of Sora, and let it guide him.

Riku soon found himself standing before the paopu tree, and he sighed upon pulling himself up on it, letting his legs hang off. Of course the trace of Sora would have been here, where everything ended and began.

Riku had used the power of waking to connect to Sora's heart, and after using the keyhole that connection created, he blacked out, and the next thing he knew, he was waking up in the middle of a strange city. The one thought on his mind, though?

Sora.

Almost immediately, his heart reached out for Sora's, desperately, and he knew that every red light would lead him there, because every time he saw a red light in the blue coldness of the world, the pull in his heart to Sora grew stronger.