Chapter 12: Thoughts on the Wayside

Sarah and Kathi had been strolling through the pedestrian zone of the city for a few minutes when they arrived at the cafe. The city was full of people doing their shopping and more and more children crossed their path as well, school had to be over. Sarah looked at her phone 14.30 showed the clock the last school hours were actually over. The screaming of children made the pedestrian zone and the cafe more inviting, but coffee had to be now. She had gotten cigarettes on the way. She could have gone home with Kathi, but somehow she didn't want to go back yet. Was she afraid to be at home because there she would have the opportunity to wear "her" diapers. She was still split on the subject. On the one hand, the diaper she had been wearing was soft and comfortable, even the wetness in the diaper wasn't bad, but it still continued to feel weird to her. At home she would probably worry about it even more, she concluded, it would only lead her to the brink of insanity. Nothing worth striving for now. Kathi had looked for a seat while Sarah was still wallowing in her thoughts and waited for Sarah to join her.

"Tell me Sarah do you want to just stand around all the time and let someone run you over? Asked Kathi

"Um, no, I'm coming. You're not even allowed to think for two minutes when you're out with you." replied Sarah, slightly annoyed.

"You can still think about it at home, it will probably bring you more than standing around here like a glove and getting run over." said Kathi.

"Whether that brings more I don't know Kathi. Let's drink the coffee now, maybe I'll feel better afterwards. Last night probably just took a lot out of me. I probably didn't get enough sleep." explained Sarah.

"If you say so, but I don't think last night's lack of sleep is preoccupying, but other things, but if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine too." Kathi concluded the conversation for now.

Sarah drifted off into her thoughts again. She felt strange, even abnormal. Somehow, the people around her didn't seem to see it as tragic. Was diaper wearing more normal than she thought. Yes diaper wearing was normal, but for fun...but it wasn't a crime that much was clear, in the eyes of society maybe who knows, but her mother obviously didn't seem to mind, Kathi anyway. What about her father? Should she tell him or should she leave it alone. Above all, what should she tell him. I wore a diaper and found it interesting, but don't know yet if I will do it again or do it more often in the future, but don't know if I like it. Would probably be similar constructive as coming out to say I kissed a girl but don't know if I liked it and if I would do it again. Just to get her mind off it, Sarah thought about whether she had ever kissed a girl before, but she couldn't think of one. She was abruptly pulled out of her thoughts.

"Good afternoon, what can I get you to drink?" asked the young waiter next to her.

"Good afternoon. Um...coffee...just black coffee please." replied Sarah

"Gladly." he turned on his heel and disappeared into the store to get the drinks she ordered.

"How long has he been standing next to me?" asked Sarah Kathi.

"Well, I'd say a good minute or so. You didn't respond to two questions from him." said Kathi

"Ok, that's definitely not normal." said Sarah firmly.

"What do you mean now?" asked Kathi in wonder.

"That I can't even make a simple decision or just do something without thinking the whole thing to death first." said Sarah

"Well, you think a lot about what would happen if. Let me know when you get to the point of thinking about what if a bag of rice fell over in China. Then we should be seriously worried about you. That you have the thoughts currently completely normal." Kathi explained.

Sarah inwardly hoped not to run into anyone else from her circle of acquaintances again, maybe they would all just hang out at home. She was also surprised that none of her classmates had contacted her yet. Yesterday she had simply been summoned to the principal's office and had not returned to the classroom. No one seemed to be surprised and no one seemed to be worried about her. Sandra had not contacted her either. Because Kathi had arrived yesterday, she had completely forgotten to tell her best friend that she would not be in school for the next two weeks. Later, she would write Sandra a quick note or give her a quick call and tell her why she hadn't contacted her after yesterday. Some things she would have to leave out, probably the most important one, the one that imposed the torturous chains of thoughts and drove her to her personal madness over and over again.

In the meantime, the waiter had returned with the coffee. Sarah had again not noticed his appearance and had to be alerted by Kathi that her coffee was in front of her. She sipped the cup a few times and put it back. She reached into her purse and dug out her cigarettes and lit one. She leaned back in the chair and looked at Kathi.

"Tell me, Kathi: Do you have anything new to report other than what we talked about yesterday? I need a distraction right now."

Kathi was about to start when she was interrupted.

"Surely you have more interesting things to tell, don't you Sarah? Like where you were today."

a voice sounded behind her.

Sandra. Shit was the only thing that came to Sarah's mind.