Chapter 38: Old acquaintances

"Honestly, is it really that hard?" asked Kathi as she drank her coffee and let Sarah show her the various websites she had come across.

"What do you mean?" asked Sarah irritated.

"Well, it's quite simple. What's so hard about admitting to yourself that you like diapers and all that stuff too?" asked Kathi.

"I'm just testing it out," Sarah countered.

"I hardly think so. When I look at this. You read into the subject, opened various store pages and ask me about various models. What else does it look like?" she returned.

"You're stupid." said Sarah curtly and took another drag on her cigarette. The two had been sitting in the kitchen for a while. Sarah had started to describe to Kathi the encounter with her father, which Kathi had commented on sufficiently negatively to her uncle's disadvantage. Of course, Sarah had been burning under her fingernails what Kathi had meant in her room, but had then preferred to devote herself first to her shopping mania, to say the least.

"And you're being unreasonable. What good does it do you to lie to yourself?" continued Kathi.

"I'm not lying to myself. It's difficult." said Sarah

"What exactly is difficult?" drilled Kathi further as she continued to examine Sarah's shopping cart, removing what was useless and adding what was useful, while Sarah watched patiently.

"I feel like I'm riding a roller coaster every day right now. It's a constant up and down of emotions and I have no idea how to categorize it or what's best." she explained to her cousin.

"Hmmm...I think I know what you mean. Well I would say it's obvious you've taken a liking to it. I really should have taken a picture of you with the pacifier. You almost seemed like you were somewhere else." she explained, taking another sip of coffee.

"There." she started again. "I guess if that appeals to you, that should get you started. Look over it and if anything is unclear just ask."

Sarah scrolled through the shopping cart, which was bulging with all sorts of diapers, as well as other supplies.

"I need all this?" she asked in amazement.

"Well. Maybe not all of it. I put a little bit in on spec. If you don't want it, I'll take it, simple as that. So it's not a losing proposition for you." explained Kathi.

"That sounds reasonable. What about you? Don't you still need supplies?" wanted to know Sarah.

"There's something in it for me too, I think you'll be so nice and put it in front of me. Don't worry, I won't make you poor. I'll transfer the money to you tonight. I still have to unpack my laptop, it's still in my bag so far," Kathi explained.

"That's alright. When does the stuff get here approximately?" asked Sarah curiously.

"The day after tomorrow." Kathi returned shortly.

"That'll be quick," Sarah replied and looked at the clock. It was already 10:30 slowly running out of time. "Kathi we should hurry, you jump in the shower. I'll have another smoke and get ready afterwards. We should be on time."

Kathi nodded and took the last big sip from her cup and left the kitchen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The school bell had just rung. One by one, all the students rushed into the break. Sandra trotted slowly beside Svenja towards the exit. Many of the students who passed them were not lucky enough to be free right now and had to endure at least two more hours of school until they finally went home. Especially the week before the vacations was always a torture, no matter how good you were, no matter if you had fun at school or not. It dragged on like chewing gum and from day to day it got worse.