Chapter 13: The most annoying friend

Shit, now I really have to pull myself together...if Sandra realizes how out of it I am right now, she'll think something else, Sarah thought to herself. She hoped that Kathi would continue to play the game from the pharmacy, otherwise she would already have the next problem on her cheek. She liked Sandra, understandably, she was her best friend, but character-wise they were worlds apart. They were almost model students, so they still had something in common, but while Sarah was mostly rebellious and didn't care about rules, Sandra did just that. She tried not to allow herself a wrong step. She didn't think much of popularity either. She was accepted at school, but really only Sarah had anything to do with her outside of school. This obviously didn't seem to bother Sandra. She didn't like to be around other people, and she avoided parties and the like as much as possible. Despite the differences, their acquaintance had developed into an intimate friendship. They shared many a secret with each other. But Sarah had no intention of serving her all the news of the last few hours on a silver platter. First of all, she herself needed clarity about the current state of affairs and Sandra did not want to include her in her thoughts for the time being. She hoped that Sandra would not perpetuate herself and would seek the distance as quickly as possible. Somewhere already nasty thought, Sarah thought at the same time, but no matter, with it I must live first and Sandra will probably survive it. In the worst case, I and Kathi just leave, because we have something else planned, it will be done somehow.

While Sarah had been thinking to herself, Sandra had joined the table of the two.

"Hi Sarah." she greeted her friend.

Sarah stood up, hugged Sandra and said, "Well, you. What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing here, why weren't you at school? Did they finally manage to kick you down or are you just playing hooky? And who are you sitting around with?" it came gushing almost like a waterfall.

"Wow, take it easy Sandra, one thing at a time." replied Sarah "Sit down first, then you'll get your answers." Sarah looked briefly at Kathi to see if there was any sign of reluctance to the idea. Kathi's face showed no trace that Sarah could recognize as disapproval. "She's really got it together." thought Sarah "In a diaper in public and then carrying around a whole package, respect. I wonder if she's done that before? I'll definitely have to ask her about that later."

Sandra had grabbed a chair in the meantime and sat down with the two.

The waiter from earlier appeared again and took the order. A short time later there were 3 cups of coffee on the table.

"So Sarah who is your companion?" seized Sandra again the conversation.

"I'm Kathi." said Kathi before Sarah could get a word in edgewise.

"Kathi...Kathi? Oh yes I remember roughly. You are Sarah's cousin aren't you?" stated Sandra.

"The candidates gets a hundred points" Sarah interjected.

Everyone laughed.

"I thought you guys moved away a long time ago? How come you're here in the middle of the week?" asked Sandra.

"If I didn't know better Sandra, I'd say you're going to be a lawyer or something someday and you're already practicing cross-examination with Kathi." said Sarah.

"Oops...sorry. Just happens to me too often that I riddle people with questions. I hope that wasn't awkward Kathi." replied Sandra after Sarah's interjection.

"No, it's fine. It's also answered quite simply. My mother is out of town and dropped me off at my aunt's and Sarah's, which was convenient since we're already on vacation. And now I'm here for a few weeks," Kathi answers calmly.