Chapter 58: Unexpected Help

Standing outside his door was a completely distraught Leonie.

"Hey Leo what's wrong?" her brother asked worriedly.

"I think Sarah is getting kicked out of school. That's totally mean." said Leonie sadly.

"I guess there will be reasons if they want to kick her out of school. It's probably her own fault." he commented on Leonie's statement.

"But they all say that's not true at all!" persisted Leonie.

"What did she do anyway?" asked Tom.

"Did you really not notice?" asked Leonie and ran into her room only to return shortly afterwards with a folded piece of paper. She handed this paper to Tom.

"Read this!" she urged him insistently.

"And what is this?" he asked, confused.

"The school paper. Sarah was interviewed and the interview is why she's in trouble now." explained Leonie. Tom searched for the article with the interview and his eyes grew bigger with each sentence.

"Gross. So if she said that, then she really deserved it." countered the Leonie.

"But she didn't say that!" affirmed Leonie.

"And how do you know?" asked her brother.

"Very simple. I overheard a conversation..." Leonie continued.

"So you're telling me you overheard a conversation? You don't do that!" he interjected.

"It doesn't matter right now. The editor-in-chief was on the phone with someone and told them that everything is going according to plan and Sarah will soon be out of the picture." explained Leonie.

"Sounds to me a bit like you made that up," her brother remarked.

"Not true at all. She also said that the original tape is safely stored." explained Leonie.

"Original tape? What tape Leonie?" asked Tom.

"Apparently there is a tape on which what is written in the article can be heard." explained Leonie.

"Then it's pretty clear that Sarah said all that, isn't it?" stated Tom.

"No I just don't believe that! It's manipulated or something. Surely, why else would anyone be talking about an original tape. It doesn't make any sense at all, you have to see that too." she replied in exasperation.

"So if I just assume that you're not making this up, then there might be something to it, even though I think it's unlikely. Have you ever talked to Sarah about it?" asked Tom.

"No how? She's only in her room and doesn't let anyone in. Not even Kathi or her mother." explained Leonie.

"Shit. You know what I'll try something. Wait here." he said and hurried out of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah had crawled into her bed. Just like the days before. The only person she let near her in between was actually Kathi, who had direct access to Sarah's room through their shared room. The two had not talked much. Most of the time Sarah had kicked her out of her room quite savagely and didn't want to see or talk to anyone. Kathi nevertheless brought her something to eat every day so Helen didn't have to worry. There was a knock at Sarah's door. She did not respond. It knocked again. She just wouldn't respond. A third knock, followed by a voice muffled by the voice.

"Jeez Sarah, open the damn door I need to talk to you!" shouted Tom on the other side.

"I wouldn't know what about! Just go away and leave me alone!" she shouted back at him.