Chapter 61: The Conference

Sarah didn't really care about anything. Her mother had told her that Kathi, Sandra and Tom were with the police and she had been upset about it during the whole car ride and had asked Sarah if she knew anything about it. Sarah only uttered single words and not complete sentences. Helen had finally given up trying to get anything out of her. She had rushed Sarah straight to the conference room. The night's events, of course, delayed the start.

"The janitor found her in the gym," Mr. Krautscheidt explained.

"Did he also see Leonie?" asked Helen.

"No, there's no trace of her. Does Sarah know more?" he asked.

"Apparently not. I have the feeling she's completely out of it," Helen said with an undertone of pity.

"Well, it's not a nice situation and the school year started really well for her," he explained.

"Yeah. What about the other three?" asked Helen.

"I think they'll get a conference too, but so far they haven't done anything wrong, so there's probably less to come for them," he explained.

"Good." replied Helen.

"Shall we get started then?" he asked.

"Yes let's get this over with." said Helen and sat down behind Sarah.

"So Sarah. We called the conference because of the interview that was printed." he explained, reading the article again. "To that end, we have this audio recording, which undoubtedly contains your voice and served as the basis for this article. Do you want to say anything about this?" the principal asked.

"Never mind what I say, they don't believe me anyway. Just finish the act here quickly." said Sarah.

Mr. Krautscheidt was about to say something when the door flew open with a terrible roar and Leonie rushed into the room. She lost her footing and fell to the floor. Mr. Schmidt also rushed to the door.

"What's going on here?" asked Mr. Krautscheidt angrily.

"Leonie what are you doing here?" asked Helen just as angrily.

Leonie straightened up.

"You're making a big mistake." she began to explain.

"I think you're making a mistake." intervened Helen. "Can you explain where you were this morning?"

"Um, at school." Leonie confessed.

"At school with Tom, Sandra and Kathi or what?" she continued to ask.

"Yeah." said Leonie.

"Well great and why aren't you with the others?" continued Helen.

"I was supposed to hide and come here." explained Leonie.

"Why all the fuss Leonie?" asked Mr. Krautscheidt, who by now had regained his composure somewhat.

"I'll tell you, but only if you listen with me to the end. Promise?" demanded Leonie.

"Well, sit down and tell us what you know. Mr. Schmidt I think you can go to class." he said and Mr. Schmidt left the room.

"So Leonie, we're listening," said the principal when Mr. Schmidt had left the room.

Leonie told everything that had happened the last few days, how she and the others had made and implemented their plan. At last she described the events of the last night.

"That sounds very adventurous and far-fetched what you tell us here." concluded the principal.

"Leonie, he's right," Sarah spoke up.