Chapter 28: The Confession(s)

Sandra was jolted out of her memories by the creaking of wood. She opened her eyes and saw Sarah's bedroom door open a crack. Finally, she thought to herself. Will she finally come to her senses and let me in. Sarah's head briefly peeked into the hallway and caught sight of Sandra. "You're still here?" she asked timidly.

"Yes. Did you look in the backpack?" asked Sandra.

Sarah nodded. She was still standing behind her bedroom door, looking out into the hallway. Suddenly, she pulled her head back and the door opened completely. Sandra knew this was the sign for her to come in. She walked slowly toward the door and finally entered the room. She had barely crossed the threshold when the door closed behind her and a key was turned around. She looked around for a moment. On the floor were Sarah's clothes, which she had still worn downstairs. She had simply thrown them on the floor. Similarly, parts from her backpack had been lying across and in front of Sarah's couch. Apparently Sarah had rummaged wildly through her things. Normally Sandra would have wanted to lynch her now, but Sarah had her permission and asking her to tidy up in a situation like the present one had not occurred to her on the one hand, and on the other hand she would have considered it inappropriate anyway. Sarah had started moving behind her in the meantime and slowly moved past her on the right and sat down on the edge of the bed. She had her elbows braced on her legs and had her head resting on her hands, looking toward the floor. She had changed her clothes. She was apparently now wearing a white bodysuit that was cut quite wide at the crotch. She could guess what the actual purpose of the bodysuit was, but didn't want to go into it for now, maybe Sarah would tell her herself. Sandra didn't know yet how to start the conversation. Normally she was not often at a loss for words, but now she had the feeling that everything she could say would be simply wrong. She slowly sat down on the couch and continued to look at Sarah, who still had her head on her hands. Sandra looked like that for what felt like 10 minutes at Sarah, who just sat there in silence. Sandra cleared her throat, not because she wanted to say anything, but because I was getting uncomfortable with the silence. Sarah looked up and looked Sandra straight in the eye. Sarah finally broke her silence.

"What's the sofa doing downstairs?" she asked timidly.

Sandra was surprised that this was the first thing she wanted to know, presumably Sarah didn't know what to start the conversation with either, so she addressed Sarah's question, "It's fine, Kathi took care of it while I was waiting outside a door."

"Where is Kathi now?" continued Sarah.

"Downstairs in the kitchen. She's waiting for us to come back down. Or do you want to hide for the rest of the evening now?" asked Sandra, realizing right away that the last question could backfire. Sarah's eyes flashed briefly in annoyance, but the annoyance dissipated quite quickly. Sarah apparently didn't have the strength to release any real anger right now.

"I think I'd like to go to sleep right now and not wake up for the next few years until everyone forgets what happened," Sarah said.

Sandra remembered how she had reacted in the past, after every wake up, she would have preferred to run far far away and never come back. Her mother had always reassured her and everything was fine again, at least until the next morning.

"Sarah, everything is going to be all right. You don't have to be ashamed in front of anyone here, no matter how embarrassing it seems to you. Just think about it, Kathi is wearing diapers, she won't mind and she won't laugh either, except with you about something stupid when we are back downstairs. And me, yes, and me, I also wear diapers. But you've probably already figured that out." She winked at her to cheer her up a bit.

"Yeah I found one in your backpack. What's that doing there? Why are you wearing that? Are you wearing one now?" shot out as questions from Sarah.

"Wow, take it easy Sarah. One question at a time. So it's best to start at the beginning. I'm going to tell you something that I haven't told anyone, well at least until today. The diaper you found on me is actually mine. You have to know that I've been wetting the bed for years." She faltered for a moment and looked around at Sarah, expecting a reaction. Saying it this time immediately seemed much easier to her than earlier with Kathi. Sarah made no effort to say anything, so Sandra continued, "That's why I never slept over at your place, by the way. I was afraid that you would find out and laugh at me and then we wouldn't be friends anymore" she explained further. Sarah smiled a little.