Chapter 66: Sarah's peace offering

Sarah made her way to the kitchen. She knew Tom was there, too. It just had to be that way. Her heart was beating fast and loud. She felt like it was going to jump out of her chest at any moment. With a shaky hand she grasped the handle of the door to the kitchen and pushed it down. Just as she had suspected. Tom was indeed sitting at the table.

"Oh Sarah. I can almost set the clock after you if you always show up here in the evening when I'm here." he greeted her kindly.

Sarah walked slowly to the table and sat down. She remained silent for a whole moment, not moving.

"Is something wrong?" asked Tom.

"Oh sorry, I was just somewhere else." replied Sarah.

"Well then." Tom replied.

Sarah lit a cigarette and took a few drags.

"It's a good time for us to meet for once." said Sarah suddenly.

"Oh really?" replied Tom in amazement.

"Yes I wanted to talk to you." replied Sarah.

"Ok I'm all ears what is it?" asked Tom.

"I don't know how to say it..." printed Sarah around.

"Just free out." affirmed Tom to her.

"Well ok. I want to make you a peace offering. I'm tired of fighting with you all the time too." said Sarah.

"Nice to meet you. But where's the change of heart coming from?" he asked, surprised.

"Well, for one thing, of course, it's because you risked your ass for me, even though you say you did it for Leonie. For another, I have to say that the evenings we've sat here together have been amusing." Sarah admitted sheepishly.

"I've had my fun with you too." he replied with a laugh.

"Tell me, do you really not like your real name?" asked Sarah.

"Well, I just got used to Tom, because Leonie used to call me that. She just kept it and the rest just took it over. Didn't bother me as much." he explained.

"I see. What do you actually say about her problems?" asked Sarah cautiously.

"What do you mean?" asked Tom back.

"Um well the diaper problem." Sarah whispered.

"How do you know about that?" asked Tom in amazement.

"I found something in the trash and asked her about it." explained Sarah.

"And she told you about it in all seriousness?" asked Tom, stunned.

"Not just me, but Kathi too." replied Sarah.

"Wow. Respect. I didn't think she'd even tell anyone about it." explained Tom, lighting another cigarette. Sarah did the same.

"Did she actually show you her article?" asked Sarah.

"Sure. Now I'm starting to understand why she had the idea to tell you about the diapers. I hope you don't get the idea to tease her about it or anything." admonished Tom Sarah.

"For God's sake, are you stupid? I would never do that." Sarah reassured him.

"Good. Did Leonie also tell you who knows about it?" asked Tom.

"Sure, or I probably wouldn't have thought to ask you about it," Sarah remarked.

"Kind of makes sense. Do you want me to tell you a story?" asked Tom.

"Sure." replied Sarah.

"You remember the day we first met, don't you?" asked Tom.

"I guess you mean the one with the collision?" asked Sarah.