Chapter 4

I couldn't think straight

I couldn't think straight. My mind kept swimming with questions I wouldn't get the answers to until I got back to Kitalo City. The last time my mom was hospitalised because of her mental health, I was in primary school. She had gone to the kitchen to prepare some food for my then three year old brother, but she'd been in such a depressive state that she ended up taking too many sleeping pills, knocking herself out. She'd left the gas stove on, effectively starting a fire which caused my brother to scream in fear for nearly thirty minutes before the neighbours broke into our home to see what all the ruckus was about. The long story short is that my brother was taken into foster care because of negligence, and was later released to my father. My mother was hospitalised for an overdose as well as smoke inhalation and I ended up moving in with Chi's family for a few weeks because it was easier to get to school that way.

Hearing that my mom had experienced yet another depressive episode that sent her to hospital made me sick to my stomach. I'd known since the day she remarried my dad that her health could possibly take a turn for the worst, but it manifesting into something so real had me feeling lopsided. This man, who'd promised to protect her, guard her, help her, love her, care for her, had not only failed to do this the first time they were married, but now he'd done so a second time.

I was both mad and hurt, not to mention the complications of having to abruptly travel back home when I had no idea how I'd even make it to the hospital when the transportation sector was falling apart.

Chimwemwe walked back into the room to find me on the floor, the only thing stopping me from being flat on my back was the wall I was resting rigidly against.

"Sani, man. This might not solve all your problems but I hope it alleviates some of your stress. We've found you someone who'll get you to the hospital from the airport."

"Who?" I had devolved into a one-word-per-hour man, unable to find the energy to say much more than that as the day wound on. My dad hadn't answered his calls. The personnel at the hospital refused to share any information about my mother because I wasn't her next of kin. I was slowly losing my mind.

"Nella Lola." Chimwemwe offered. There was trepidation in his voice.

"What?!"

"I know she was a bit weird with you that night. But she's willing, and she's your only hope."

"Chi..."

"It's not only that. She's willing, regardless of the fact that her flight will arrive a whole three hours before yours. Who would be willing to wait that long for someone who they don't even know?"

"Huh." I muttered, running this thought over in my mind.

"Exactly. You need to grab this opportunity by the horns, man."

"Okay. I guess."

"So you can form more than one syllable with that mouth of yours?"

"Leave me alone, Chi. I have to pack."