Chapter 25

Days had passed since David lost his mind and thought it would be a good idea to show up at the HSS center and confront me

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Days had passed since David lost his mind and thought it would be a good idea to show up at the HSS center and confront me. I was doing my best to seem like I was okay, but inside I was really terrified. What if he decides to take things a step further and find out where I live? What if he finds me somewhere alone and decides to attack me again?

All these thoughts swirled through my mind as I absentmindedly helped my mom prepare lunch. I'd paid her a visit, mostly to get away from Kitalo City, but also because I really missed her. She'd been away for a while on a business trip and the video calls just weren't doing it for me anymore.

"Ornella," my mom said, "you said you wanted to see me but your mind is so far away, you might as well not be here. Are you okay? Is everything alright with Hasani?"

A few months into our relationship, I'd told my mom about Hasani being my boyfriend and she was excited about the news. She was also very supportive, constantly asking about him and offering advice whenever I needed it. The two of them had met at an HSS charity event a few months ago and were both quite fond of each other.

"Yes, Mommy. Everything is okay. Sorry. I'm just a bit stressed, work stuff."

"It's okay. Why don't we take a walk to the lake? I'll get you your favourite ice-cream."

I smiled at that. Ice-cream walks to the lake were pretty much a weekend ritual for my mom, my sisters, and I when we first moved to Kisho Valley. The lake always put me in a good mood, so I knew it would be a great distraction from my current fears and worries.

We took our walk after eating lunch, making sure we'd left some room for dessert. My mom was still worried about me, but didn't press the matter. Rather, she just humoured me as I talked about the date to the African market in Musomi, how magical it had felt to be there experiencing Africa in that way.

"He's such a sweet boy," my mom said about Hasani when I told her about the surprise Shekhinah tickets. "I'm glad you found him, Nella. I'm glad he hasn't done anything to make you doubt or fear him."

Except a few days ago.

My eyes widened at that thought, and I had no idea what to make of it. Hasani's anger was never directed at me. Logically speaking, I should have been grateful that he'd been there to scare David off. Who knows what David would've done to me if the two of us weren't interrupted by Hasani? But as I recalled the terrifying look on his face as he stared a shocked David down and continued to cut off his air circulation, I have to admit that I really was fearful. He was protecting me, and I could appreciate that, but the anger that surged through him had put me on edge.

"Nella? You're zoning out again, girl. What's wrong, seriously? Don't tell me about work."

I sighed and launched into a tell-all about everything that had happened with David. I had to start from all those months ago when we met at the mall, because I hadn't told her anything yet, not wanting to stress her out. My mom was in shock, evidenced in the way she reacted to almost every little thing I revealed to her.