Chapter 24

Trigger warning: The next few chapters contain descriptions of violence.

~~~

It was a slow day at the HSS help desk, with one phone call coming in in the three hours I'd been there, and no walk-ins

It was a slow day at the HSS help desk, with one phone call coming in in the three hours I'd been there, and no walk-ins. This was obviously a blessing, because hopefully it meant there were less men out there mistreating women. I was bored, though,  waiting impatiently for the remaining thirty minutes to pass by quickly so Hasani could finally pick me up for our movie date.

I was scrolling through social media when I heard footsteps and looked up, my jaw dropping at the sight in front of me.

"So you didn't fall off the face of the earth?" he said, malice lacing his voice as he moved closer to the desk I was sitting behind. "Nella. I've been worried about you."

"David, what are you doing here?"

"Trying to get some answers. Why won't you respond to my messages?"

"Wow." I said, completely stunned. "You're actually out of your mind. Why would I respond to your messages after what you did to me?"

"I've been messaging to apologise, for that and everything else, but you won't let me."

"Of course I won't, David! You hurt me in the worst way possible! And you just expect me to be all welcoming and nice to you when you apologise to me?"

"It's the first step to mend what I broke."

"I don't want to mend anything with you! I want you out of my life! I thought I made it clear when I didn't respond to your messages."

"What messages?" David and I's heads both turned to the direction Hasani's voice had come from near the sliding doors which lead to underground parking.

"Who are you? And how is this conversation any of your business?" David asked, eliciting a hard scowl on Hasani's face.

"A strange guy demanding my grilfriend's attention is my business. Now I'm going to ask you one last time, David. What messages have you been sending to Nella?"

I wondered how much of our conversation he'd heard, and how long he'd been standing there. The clear anger on his face was an obvious indication that he shouldn't be messed with in this moment. I wondered what was going through David's mind at the sight of this guy who was at least five inches taller than him and built like a wrestler. He didn't keep me wondering for long, though, his mouth spreading into an amused smile.

"Oh? Girlfriend?" David turned back to me. "Is that why you've been ignoring me?"

Hasani took a step closer to David, his eyes showing little restraint as he practically growled, "I asked you a question, man. You're talking to me now, not Nella. Say one more word to her. I dare you."

"Whoa." David said with a sly smirk, turning again so his face was visible to both Hasani and I. "He's a bit aggressive. Looks like you have a type, Ne–"