Chapter 23

"Do you have to look so gorgeous?" I asked with a grin on my face as Nella spun around to give me a full view of her entire outfit

"The answer is yes. Always." Nella giggled as she stood on her tip toes to plant a kiss on my cheek. "How are you, Sani?"

"I'm good. I'm excited about this date. Can't wait to see your face when you see what I've planned." I said, opening the passenger door to let her in. Nella's eyes widened when she got in and noticed that the back seat was overflowing with snacks.

"Why are there so many snacks back there?" she asked when I got into the car. "Let me guess, we're going to Musomi, aren't we?"

"You're right" I laughed. "Am I that obvious?"

"I guess I just associate snacks with the first road trip to Musomi." she giggled and shrugged, the small action extremely cute coming from her.

I settled into my seat and held out my hand for her to hold, a default for us whenever we drove somewhere together. "Well, I hope you enjoy this trip as much as the first, since I woke you up so early for it."

"I trust you, I'm sure it will be amazing." she smiled as I drove out of the visitors' parking dock.

"I have to drop by my parents' place first, though. I want to do a quick check-in since I've been too busy lately. Hope you don't mind?"

"Let's go." she said, dimples on full display. "You know I'm always excited to see Furaha."

Nella launched into talk about work, and I listened intently as she shared news about a trip she'd be taking for another brand soon. The trips had pretty much become a part of her career, with brands flying her out of the country. She'd been to four African countries in the last three months. With Nella's traveling and my intense training and practicing for the big playoffs that were fast approaching, it had been tough to make time for each other. This trip to Musomi would be the longest time we'd spend together after weeks of mostly texting, video calling and being in each others' presence for only a few minutes at a time.

***

"Hi, my boy!" My mom squealed as she pulled me into her warm arms for a hug.

"Hi, Nella! Looking gorgeous as always." she said next, pulling Nella's hands into hers. Nella's face spread into a smile that invoked thoughts that weren't very appropriate to have in your mother's presence.

"Thanks, Ma! You look amazing yourself! Those walks with Papa have really been working."

"It's not only my walks with him, darling, but thank you." my mom winked and Nella visibly cringed as I begged my mom never to say such a thing again.

My mom laughed heartily, her eyes full of mischief. "Okay, sorry. Ey, come in. Why are you two standing in the doorway?"

"Because we're not staying long." I said as we walked towards the living room. "Nella and I are going on a date for the first time in weeks. We just dropped by to say hi, so don't fuss over us, okay?"