Chapter 19

"I can't believe how hard it's been to get a hold of you

"I can't believe how hard it's been to get a hold of you. You went from holing yourself up in your apartment to not being here at all and giving me all these cryptic messages about where you've been. What's going on with you?" Namiko was really displeased with me as she opened her can of Coke at my kitchen counter, her face in a questioning scowl.

I hadn't yet divulged any details about making things official with Hasani. I was just enjoying it being a thing between the two of us, but of course, our friends would have to find out eventually. As I sat with lucky number one, I grinned, excited to share the news with her.

"I took your advice and left the confines of these walls." I shrugged, wanting to drag it out a bit more since Namiko was so riled up, it was slightly entertaining.

"Oh, Nella. I noticed. That's why I'm asking where you were." she rolled her eyes and I snickered, grabbing a drumstick from the box of deep fried chicken we'd bought.

I laughed, biting into the chicken. "Okay, fine. Aii, what are you so mad for? I went to Musomi."

"You went to Musomi?" she narrowed her eyes at me. "Did you go by train or bus?"

"I went by car." I said, taking another bite of the crispy, perfectly seasoned chicken before I took a sip from my own Coke.

"Whose car, because you don't even like driving long distances by yourself."

"Hasani's." I said, grinning, or maybe blushing. Yeah. More like blushing.

"Hasani took you to Musomi? At night? Just the two of you?"

"Yes, yes, and yes."

"Nella. That doesn't sound very friendly."

I laughed. "It wasn't very friendly, to be completely honest with you. We were struggling to continue taking things slow."

"Wait, you said were..."

"Yes, I did." I grinned, watching as the two plus two in her head finally made four.

"Girl, before I get excited, I need you to actually spell it out for me, because there is no way..."

"There is totally a way." I laughed. "'Cause as of yesterday evening I'm officially someone's girlfriend."

"What?!" Namiko shrieked, abandoning her chicken and her seat to come around to my side and jump all over me. "Are you for real right now? You have a man?"

"I do," I smiled, ducking away from her hands, which were flailing everywhere from excitement.

She finally relaxed, pulling her chair closer to mine and happily propping her elbow onto the counter before resting her cheek into her hand. "Oh my word, tell me everything!"

I told her all about the trip and even snippets of everything that led to us going on the trip in the first place.

"Wow. I'm literally in disbelief." Namiko sat back with a contented sigh. "I love the beginning of a lovestory! Look at you guys!"