Chapter 5

Hi, Nella Lola

Hi, Nella Lola. Hasani here. I just want to say thank you for the ride to the hospital and the food you brought me the other day. I really appreciate your kindness and am glad to extend the same to you if you ever need it.

The text came very unexpectedly. It had been about a week since the day I dropped Hasani off at the airport and I'd just finished uploading a sponsored video that had kept me glued to my screens for hours on end. The brand I was working for had given me a very detailed brief, from the camera angles to work with to the colour scheme they wanted.

I'd known since before the trip to Rwanda that I had my work cut out for me, and that's the reason I'd decided to stay for one game only, and the event I'd helped host on Tuesday had just added to the pressure I felt about the work since it reduced the amount of time I spent on editing, creating a thumbnail, submitting for review, uploading, and promoting my video.

But I'd never complain, I loved that I was making an honest living doing things that I actually enjoyed. I just didn't enjoy overworking myself and so when I'd finally posted about my new video on Instagram, I turned off my laptop and decided I wouldn't work for the next couple of days. My next sponsored video was due in about a week so I could actually afford to take the break. Plus, the weather was perfect for some at-home relaxation. It was raining non-stop and it created the perfect atmosphere for de-stressing in bed with some snacks and a good series.

With that thought in mind, I pulled on a cozy pair of black sweats and a white hoodie and grabbed my car keys, ready to drop by the grocery store to get said snacks, as well as a tub of my favourite ice-cream.

Once I'd bought everything I wanted, I re-entered my car feeling excited about the night that awaited me. My phone notified me of a new text message on the console where I kept it and I remembered there were several messages I hadn't responded to yet, so I took the time to do that, starting with Hasani's.

Hey. You're welcome. Hope you enjoyed your meal. ~ Nella Lola

He sent a reply almost immediately.

Very much, Soil Fresh is actually one of my favourite spots... ~ Hasani K

I smiled, glad I'd gotten him something he actually liked because I'd been indecisive about what to get him. I'd figured that it was best to pick a healthy option, especially for an athlete.

Good to know I can trust my gut instincts. ~ Nella Lola

I responded to everything else and set off towards my warm bed and Netflix.

***

I'd actually love to repay you for everything you did for me, and see you again in more relaxed circumstances than last time. Can I buy you a meal? ~ Hasani K

This text arrived minutes after I got settled in the bed with my snacks, my laptop and a bottle of water. I stared at the message on my screen, not actually reading it since I already knew what it said, but instead trying to decide on an appropriate response.