Chapter 26

Nella, baby

Nella, baby. It's been three days. Come on, please say something to me. Please, let's talk about this. ~ Hasani

I don't trust you anymore. And I don't think I can be with someone I can't trust. We're done. ~ Nella Lola

We're done? ~ Hasani

Nella... ~ Hasani

Nella, seriously? ~ Hasani

I couldn't believe my eyes. I couldn't believe Nella had just dumped me with three cold sentences. All I'd been trying to do was protect her. Keeping Nella safe from harm was a high priority of mine, and I raked my brain trying really hard to understand why she would push me away like this when I never intended to hurt her.

Her ex was the bad guy here. He didn't have one shameful bone in his body after what he did to her, and he was roaming free. Only God knew how many other girls David had mistreated. It shocked me that Nella would be this upset about the whole thing. When she'd told me she needed space, I'd truly believed she just wanted to recover from the shock of seeing herself as she had on my laptop screen. I didn't think she would get to this conclusion.

"Hasani! Wake up, boy!" Coach Limbi shouted from the center of the court we were practicing in.

I looked up from my phone to see him beckoning me to go and stand with him. The main point of practice today was shooting hoops to get our wrists reacquainted with the feeling of successfully getting the ball into the hoop.

Coach was intensifying practice by making each of us go through a one person versus five people match in which the single person team had to score as many points as possible without the ball ever going into the control of the five people who were pushing to get it.

"It's your turn. Get your mind off your phone. This is serious work!" he shouted again, promptly making me abandon my phone on the bench I'd been sitting on.

I jogged to the center of the court and took the ball from him. "Sorry, Coach."

"You're gonna be if you don't perform up to standard. You know I don't mind making you watch the games from the bench if I think you're not making effort."

"I know. I'm sorry. I was just shocked by something."

"You're too easily distracted, boy. That'll be your biggest downfall if you don't get it in check."

I nodded and began bouncing the ball, waiting for Coach to blow the whistle for us to begin. Nella's message was all I could think of. I channeled my frustration into the ball and my teammates standing in the way of me and the basket.

Adrenalin coursed through me as I skillfully dribbled and dodged the guys' defense. I bounced on my feet from just outside the three point line, watching as the ball soared through the air and landed right through the hoop. Koffi whistled and smacked my arm while Chimwemwe broke into a ridiculous dance.