Chapter 9

I dedicated my Thursday and Friday to nothing but work, making sure to do as much as possible before the eventful weekend I had ahead of me

I dedicated my Thursday and Friday to nothing but work, making sure to do as much as possible before the eventful weekend I had ahead of me. Arriving at my place on Thursday morning was a breath of fresh air after the overwhelming Hasani-filled conversations I'd had with my mom and sisters the day before. I just needed a few hours without him occupying my thoughts and there was no better way to achieve that than meeting my deadlines.

I sat at the desk in my room and got to it. I had just finished editing the sponsored portion of my next video when two emails popped into my inbox.

The first was from Adore Hair, a wig company I'd seen a few content creators making videos for. They were reaching out to work with me, so I made a digital note to review their conditions before jumping into the proposed brand deal.

The next email was from a brand I'd worked with on several campaigns before, I expected to see an email about PR packages or new products, but what I got was completely different.

FLAY (elsankadimeng@flay.co.za) to
Ornella Mpemba (nellalolam@gmail.com)

Dear Nella,

I trust this email finds you well. As part of the launching of our newest scent, you are invited to an international trip with us and the other ladies we've sponsored throughout the year. We will be traveling to New York City for a bit of work and loads of play.

Get yourself some cute outfits, charge that camera up and join us. We look forward to seeing you there. If you are eager and available to do so, please RSVP within the next week.

Elsa Nkadimeng
Branding Officer
FLAY Scents and Tones

I felt joy and terror surge through me in equal proportions as I read the email again. New York was synonymous with another one of my big dreams. My biggest dream. When I was making plans to go to Juiliard, I'd spend hours researching NYC. I had Pinterest boards highlighting landmarks, restaurants I'd love to try out, nice spots for pictures, Broadway, Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan's skyscrapers, Central Park. I had a miniature Statue of Liberty on my study desk when I was doing my advanced diploma, before my broken hip came into the picture.

After my first round of surgeries, I realised just how difficult it would be to even walk again, let alone dance like I used to. The obsession I once had with New York soon became a painful reminder of what I'd lost. It had been years since I even thought of going to the city and now here I was, presented with an all expenses paid trip there.

Would I be able to fully enjoy myself there, after everything that happened? I sighed as I pinned that email and clicked back into my editing software, not wanting to make a hasty decision. The distraction definitely helped, but after a while, thoughts of New York seeped back into my mind.

Luckily, a message popped into my phone to get my mind off it once again. Even if it was only for a little while.

Tell me something I'd be shocked to know about you. ~ Hasani K