Chapter 11

I was buzzing with excitement after the morning I'd had with Hasani at Sip Up Café and I hoped thatthe day would only get better

I was buzzing with excitement after the morning I'd had with Hasani at Sip Up Café and I hoped thatthe day would only get better. The sun had finally made a reappearance around noon, which was great because my sisters and Namiko would be joining me for an outdoor picnic later in the day.

I decided I'd vlog the picnic since the last couple of days I'd recorded on camera were full of clips of me doing work indoors. As I waited for the girls to get to my place, I filmed myself getting ready and putting together the charcuterie board I'd be contributing to the picnic. My sisters arrived shortly after I finished. Ketura brought a homemade strawberry shortcake cake, which I was looking forward to digging into. Aisha brought snacks and drinks. Loads of them. Namiko was the last to arrive with two boxes of pizza and a platter of mini pastries.

"Guys!!! My girls are here!" I sung, turning the camera to the kitchen counter where Aisha and Namiko were mixing champagne and orange juice into a bottle for us to have mimosas at the picnic. They all shouted their own greeting to the camera and talked over each other. I could tell we had a fun day ahead of us. Once everything was ready, we loaded Namiko's car and drove the short distance from my apartment building to the community park.

***

"Miko, how's Akim doing? Please tell me my favourite couple of all time is still going strong." Aisha said from the bench she and Namiko were sitting on across from Ketura and I. Her purple hair was in a high puff on her head, matching the lilac summer dress she had on so perfectly that I felt the urge to take a picture. I pulled out my phone and took a few pictures of her. I loved capturing people on camera when they least expected it.

"He's good. We're still good. Plus now it's off-season for them, which means I get to spend more time with my baby, so I have no complaints. How's your man, Aisha?"

Aisha had been in a relationship for nearly a year. Her boyfriend, Mani, had been her lab partner in one of her classes and the two of them got along really well. Aisha often glowed with excitement whenever we mentioned him, but this time she seemed to almost want to shrink into a ball and be swallowed up by the ground.

"Uhh... Things are a little rocky right now, actually."

"What's wrong?" I sat up, instantly worried as I put the cracker I'd just picked up right back onto the board on the table in front of me.

"Guys, I really don't want to talk about it. I don't want to put a damper on today's mood."

Ketura reached across the table to squeeze Aisha's hand.

"Okay," Namiko said hesitantly, "well you know you can talk to us about it whenever you're ready. And whatever it is, I hope it gets better soon."

I smiled and nodded in agreement, making a mental note to check on my sister before her schedule got busy again and prevented us from spending more time to talk through things like these.