-33-

You say that 'till I'm on top of you..

Those words bounced around in his mind, begging to be let free from the cage of his thoughts, but he kept them locked up because he feared once he said it he'd scare her away.

Though that was far from the truth.

"What's that look for?" She asked him, a cocky grin plastered on her face. When he didn't immediately respond, she looked down at their intertwined fingers and silently wondered if that simple little touch had something to do with it. It's just holding hands.

Right?

..wrong.

He squeezed her hand. "Nothin'."

"If it's nothin' why are you grinnin' so much?"

She watched as his grin grew wider, but his answer was still as useless to her wondering mind. "Like I said. It's nothin'."

"No it ain't."

"Is too."

"Is not."

"Yes it is! Just tell me what it's for an' I'll leave you alone." She looked back up at him just before he pried his eyes away from her, catching him staring at her. He turned his head away, but she could see that faint shade of light pink coloring his cheeks that he desperately tried to hide. "No."

"Please?" She begged.

"Again, no."

"What do I have to do then?" She asked. Quickly she realized the sound of her statement, and added to it so she didn't sound crazy. "-to make you tell me?" Although.. that might've had the opposite effect on him.

"Come on, Ry-"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"'Cause." He said flatly. She pulled her hand away and reached up to push a short stray strand of her long hair behind her ear. "Cause why?" She parroted.

"Because it's not fuckin' nice, alright?"

"Oh." She said. Her voice had gotten significantly quieter since his raised, and she backed off.

                                         —
Five minutes later

"It was dirty, wasn't it?" She asked with a playful tone that wasn't very well hidden in her tone of voice. Her eyes lingered on her nails running over a significantly small-almost invisible- burn mark just above her ankle. The spot didn't necessarily hurt, but she occasionally would pick at it for no reason.

Ryan didn't respond, but the small smirk on his face gave his answer away for him. She kept on pestering him though, determined to get a verbal answer from him. She nudged him in the arm with her elbow. "Wasn't it?"

She carefully studied his face as his features shifted from a serious tone to a more relaxed, playful one. Slowly, he nodded.

"..aand?" She prodded.

"And nothing. That's it."

"You can't say yes but then say nothing, that's not how that works. It's not like you just thought 'oh hey, she's hot' and it was over."

Ripples fanned out over the murky water as Ryan shifted in the sand. He kept his eyes focused on his hands like they were the most interesting things he'd ever seen, but he really needed a distraction that wasn't the basically naked woman sitting beside him. You're not necessarily wrong..