Chapter 4 - Scarlett

Feeling exhausted, I let out a deep sigh as I reached over and shut off the blaring alarm, signaling the beginning of another work week. The weight of the day settled on my shoulders as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and slowly got out of bed. I knew it was going to be a challenging day at the office with non-stop meetings and pressing deadlines.

I struggled to get myself out of bed and made my way to the bathroom to begin my morning routine. My basic tasks were completed with ease, but I paused in front of my closet, considering which outfit would be suitable for the day ahead.

After much contemplation, I decided on a navy suit to project confidence and competence. Though Mondays were not my favorite, I took a moment to inhale deeply and reaffirm my skills and capabilities. I was ready to face any challenges that may arise with ease.

No matter how many times I searched, the cards were nowhere to be found. With frustration building, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and tried to boost my dwindling confidence.

As I inhaled deeply, I couldn't help but think about the constant surveillance at my workplace.

My office was conveniently situated right next to my boss's, with only a transparent glass barrier between us. This allowed Inferno Knight to easily observe and track my every action without any hindrance.

As the realization dawned on me, my anxiety lessened. I had no reason to worry; I was completely innocent. Throughout my time there, I had always been diligent and error-free. Despite this unexpected turn of events, I had faith that my boss would take into account my flawless history.

My trusted bag hung casually off my shoulder as I descended the stairs. Without meaning to, I found myself glancing into my sister's room, immediately noticing the haphazardly scattered clothes on the ground and the lingering scent of familiar cologne from days prior.

A feeling of betrayal flooded through me as I processed the realization that she had kept her relationship with this man a secret from me. However, I did not have the luxury to dwell on it. Instead, I headed to the kitchen eagerly, anticipating the burst of energy that caffeine always provided. As my coffee machine whirred, I quickly glanced at my list of tasks for the day, mentally preparing myself for any challenges that may arise. After scribbling down some notes in my journal, I returned it to my bag before adding a hint of sweetener to my coffee. Despite taking pride in my ability to make Starbucks-level coffee, nothing could beat the delicious drinks crafted by my favorite barista.

In the early days of my employment, I discovered a delightful coffee shop that quickly became my favorite place to take breaks. Luckily, it was situated near my workplace, so I didn't have to waste time commuting back and forth.

I climbed into my car and began driving, unable to shake thoughts of the alluring cafe owner from my mind. He certainly caught my eye, but I couldn't act on any feelings because he was already in a committed relationship.

I didn't want to disrupt their happiness.

----- ♡ -----

Despite my pounding heart and nervousness, work went by uneventfully. My boss had a meeting with me to review the videos from the previous week. The footage clearly indicated that I was the last one to handle the cards, but it also showed me returning them to his desk before moving on with my tasks.

Even with relentless efforts, the perpetrator remained elusive. Inferno Knight made the decision to keep the incident concealed from other employees, in case the thief was someone within the company.

Effortlessly, I breezed through the morning, diligently completing my paperwork. The hours seemed to pass in a blur, and before I knew it, it was already lunchtime. I was astonished by how much I had managed to accomplish. Without pausing, I saved my work and powered off my computer. I gathered my necessities and headed out to Cain's cafe without delay.