Chapter 25 - Cain

I clenched my jaw in frustration as the acrid stench of cheap cigarettes filled the air, making it hard to focus on the task at hand.

I wished someone else would handle it so I could spend more time with Scarlett. The few moments I'd had were insufficient to glean any new information about her, and I'd already asked Kristopher and Eric to follow her carefully on several occasions.

I was astounded that she didn't seem to notice someone tailing her, or perhaps she had already deduced it and chose to ignore it. I let out a weary sigh, attempting to pay attention to Liz's discussion with one of the individuals at the table.

Her incessant chatter exasperated me. I was here to close a deal, not exchange pleasantries. Although I wore an impassive expression and kept my composure, the situation was getting on my nerves. Just before we boarded the ship, Thomas's helpers had brought aboard numerous containers filled with drugs and weapons. It was a very bad idea in every way, but Thomas had promised that everything would be fine.

Although it annoyed me that she wouldn't shut up once, I was grateful she was here. She always had an eagle-eye for details I might have overlooked.

I glanced across the table, appraising those in front of me. I was going to have to get a substantial amount out of them. It was an easy task for me, as I had never failed in any deal. The task, however, seemed too tedious. I much preferred to extract information by torturing my victims and generally inflicting physical pain.

I took a deep drag on my cigarette, savoring the bitter smoke that burned my throat. I was about to initiate the deal when Liz unexpectedly intervened.

"The atmosphere is getting pretty tense, why don't we play a little? We can get to know each other better over a game of poker and then discuss terms later. After all, this is a cruise ship, let's make the most of it", she suggested.

I could feel a vein almost burst in my head.

"God, this woman...", I thought, before moving my gaze around the room. To my surprise, the other men nodded in agreement with her suggestion. I quickly wondered why Thomas never allowed her to take control of the situation.

As the rest of the group rose from the grand mahogany table, I followed suit. They were ushered away by their escorts to the casino on deck 3, but Liz and I remained behind. Poker had lost its appeal to me, especially since I always seemed to come out as the victor against Liz. Despite her persistent invitations, I always declined to play again.

"What are you thinking about?", she asked me quietly as we walked side by side. "It's been a while since I've seen you so anxious".

I hesitated to articulate my thoughts, but consented to answer with a tight heart.

"If the ship sinks, it will all be for nothing", I muttered. "It was a rash move".

"It's one of the few courses of action we have at the moment", she responded. "Your fight with Blaze has attracted attention and even Scarlett is involved. She's also under police surveillance".

I rolled my eyes, not wanting to be scolded by her right now.

"You really should think about giving Eric a raise", Liz suggested. "He's done a lot to help you".

"I'll consider it", I replied.

Liz's words were still audible, but my mind went blank as Blaze sauntered past me with his usual sly grin, coming from Scarlett's suite.

----- ♡ -----

The mahogany-paneled room on the cruise ship was dimly lit. Whispered conversations and the soft shuffle of playing cards filled the air, combined with the distinct aroma of premium cigars and whiskey. The muffled notes of jazz music provided a backdrop for the secret gathering as glasses clinked in punctuation.

A gleaming wooden table sat in the center of the room, surrounded by leather-clad chairs filled with men dressed in finely tailored suits. The warm glow of the chandeliers cast mysterious shadows on their faces. Softly lit, crystal glasses gleamed and delicate wisps of smoke curled up from cigars held between their fingers.

The slight sway of the cruise ship outside the window seemed to contrast with the intense atmosphere in the room. The distant sound of waves crashing against the hull created a secluded and enigmatic setting.

The clink of ice cubes in glasses and sporadic bursts of laughter from adjacent tables mingled with the smooth jazz, giving every gesture and glance an implied meaning in this mysterious language of books.

I was trying to appreciate the ambience of the room, but Blaze's presence made that impossible. It was a mystery how he had gotten here. I'd thought he'd had no connection to this world after being banished, and yet here he was. Perhaps Blaze had seduced someone's wife or girlfriend in exchange for information or an invitation, a tactic he'd used before with great success. I'd been tempted at one point to follow his example, but eventually changed my mind.

I was sitting at the poker table, concentrating on everything else but what I was doing. The low hum of shuffled cards and the rhythmic clink of chips was far more interesting than the game itself. Frowning and looking distant, I was at the table with just my body. My usually deft fingers were rubbing one of the cards.

I was feeling all sorts of conflicting emotions I hadn't thought possible before. The neat piles of chips in front of me seemed like forgotten pieces on a chessboard, irrelevant to my inner struggles.

The other players shared troubled glances, acutely aware of the interruption to the usual rhythm of the game. A palpable tension filled the air and it seemed as if the room itself was holding its breath, waiting for my inner storm to dissipate or erupt.

My hands periodically tightened around a poker chip, my physical exertion an indication of mental anguish.

The last river card fell to the table with a soft thud, signifying the end of the game. Everyone around held their breath as I nonchalantly revealed my winning hand. The dealer, in a gesture of admiration, pushed a massive pile of chips to my side of the table. The heavy clinking of the coins marked a victorious end to an imposingly difficult game.

"Let's get to work", I said confidently as I motioned for Kristopher to take the chips and cash them in.

I began to methodically articulate my offer, outlining its advantages and appealing to my counterpart's unspoken needs in a very subtle way. The words flowed from my mouth with poise and precision.

To my astonishment, the man appeared enthusiastic about the idea of making a deal. However, he mentioned that what I was proposing was too expensive for him.