Chapter 26 - Scarlett

I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked in the mirror and saw that the bite marks were barely noticeable. At first, I was shocked when Diane took off my makeup, but her foundation did a much better job of covering them up than mine.

It was to be expected. With the constant glare of lights shining down on her while she danced, her foundation had to be perfect. It was meant to conceal any and all imperfections.

"There you go," Diane said with a radiant smile, pointing at my reflection. "You can still observe them from a short distance, but hopefully no one gets too close," she mentioned.

"Next time I have to buy makeup, I'll definitely take you with me. You've done an incredible job!", I told her.

Diane's face lit up with joy as she happily accepted the invitation. We exchanged smiles before she excused herself and exited the suite. I quickly checked my reflection in the mirror before making my way onto the ship, not really sure what my plan was other than to avoid Cain as much as possible. But deep down, I knew I was being unjust towards him.

As the sun showed its last colors on the horizon, I walked along the decks of the colossal cruise ship. The sound of crashing waves and the hum of the engines blended perfectly, creating a symphony of peace that enveloped me like a cozy blanket.

As I stood in my sheer dress and draped my shawl around my shoulders, the fading daylight caught my hair, creating a fiery halo. Stopping to admire myself in a window, I was pleased to see that the bites on my skin were no longer visible.

I closed my eyes and imagined myself alone on the cruise, surrounded by strangers instead of the people I had gotten involved with. All I could feel was pain, confusion, and a sense of regret. After this whole ordeal was over, I made a mental note to avoid Cain's coffee shop during work breaks or after hours. The guilt of my actions weighed heavily on me, and I considered escaping from it all as my only option.

I was running away again.

My eyes widened with wonder as I wandered the majestic corridors of the floating palace, taking in every sumptuous detail. I was delighted to discover each inviting salon, with its stately furnishings. Curiosity led me up the luxurious staircase, its polished brass banisters gleaming in the moonlight. Reaching another deck, I paused to gaze at the endless expanse of sea. The hum of the ship's engines filled my ears, and the distant laughter of the ballroom seemed to echo through the night air.

I leaned over the railing, my hair dancing in the salty sea breeze, as I watched the shimmering waves below. The foamy trail of the boat stretched to the edge of the world.

I strolled through multiple lavish corridors before reaching the hall where Cain had mentioned the event was being held. Everyone in attendance was dressed extravagantly and seemed to be acquainted with each other. I spotted Ash mingling with several guests, her green off-the-shoulder dress accentuating her figure flawlessly. Instead of approaching her, I made my way to a quieter corner where I could observe the majority of the room.

I admired the whole room and wondered how many people had worked to build the ship and what kind of wages they had received. I was a little curious if the workers were getting the money they were entitled to, as it looked like a lot of hard work. I laughed to myself, remembering the headlines I used to give to news stories about this when I worked in the press. They were so bland and unattractive from my point of view, but people still clicked on them.

A waiter much younger than me stopped in front of me, and I grabbed a glass of champagne from his tray before he bowed and left. On the dance floor were a few people who looked like they had known each other forever.

As I scanned the room, I couldn't help but notice that most of the people around me were armed. Guns and knives seemed to be the preferred choice, even for the women in attendance.