Chapter 27 - Cain

With every step I took away from Scarlett, my heart broke into a million pieces. I desperately wished I could never see the marks on her skin again, but the haunting image was now seared into my memory. There was no way to erase what I had seen, and it left a deep sense of sadness in my heart.

I gritted my teeth as I tried to make sense of the circumstances that had led to this moment, anger burning like hell inside me. I wished Blaze would appear in front of me so I could take out all my frustration on him. I wanted to use every ounce of my strength to send him into oblivion. It wouldn't be the first time I'd done this.

The memory of my uncle's agonized face flashed through my mind like a bolt of lightning - his lips stretched into a silent scream as rivulets of blood ran down his body. I closed my eyes, desperately trying to hold back the flood of memories.

My senses were suddenly heightened as I became aware of another person's presence behind me. My muscles tightened, and I readied myself, preparing for the right moment to act without giving away my intentions.

One step. It looked like a person of small stature. Two steps. The person was moving quite slowly. Three steps... Before that person took the fourth step, I turned abruptly and grabbed the intruder, pushing it hard against the wall. My hand closed tightly around the hilt of the knife I always kept with me, ready to slit their throat if need be. I stood there trembling with impatience, my eyes glittering with sinister intent.

Liz's voice turned icy cold the moment she spoke.

"Troubles in paradise?", I heard her say, but it took me a while to come back to my senses and realize it was her. "We've been waiting for you", she continued.

I released her and concealed my knife before trailing behind her. Usually, she was talkative, but this time she remained silent as we made our way to the room where the negotiations were scheduled to occur. It was unusual behavior for her.

She was the last person I wanted to meet under these dire circumstances, as she had a habit of questioning me about anything and everything. As we walked across the deck of the ship, the muffled sounds of our footsteps mingled with the rhythmic cadence of the ocean waves below.

As we approached the casino, the lively buzz of activity grew louder. Bright lights spilled out of the entrance, and the distant murmur of voices was a clear sign of the fairly large number of people inside.

I spun around to face her, my nerves getting the best of me.

"What's happening? Why haven't you asked me anything?" I blurted out, feeling anxious. "Ever since I mentioned Scarlett, you've been talking nonstop. Why the sudden change now?"

Liz shrugged, catching me off guard with her response.

"It's not my place to ask," she said.

"What the hell do you mean by that ?", I asked.

Liz walked past me as if she hadn't heard me; her silence was an answer.

"We have work to do", she continued as she entered the casino, going straight to the negotiation room, leaving me completely speechless.

----- ♡ -----

In the center of the room stood a meticulously crafted table, its polished surface catching the soft glow of carefully positioned ambient light. The design, though minimalist, conveyed an unmistakable sense of richness.

Adjacent to the table was an elegant bar, adorned with crystal decanters and the finest spirits, offering discreet pampering to those taking part in high-stakes negotiations.