Chapter 17 - Cain

I was standing on the balcony, smoking cigarette after cigarette, while occasionally glancing at Scarlett, who was still asleep in my bed. The view had a captivating pull, one that held me more than I cared to admit. The swirls of smoke seemed to mirror the intertwining of our lives, marked by passion and a forbidden bond. However, in addition to the thrill of excitement, a nagging guilt settled over me, a kind of reminder of the potential consequences that our entangled adventure could trigger.

I exhaled slowly, then looked back at the city. I loved spending my mornings on the balcony, enveloped in silence, with the distant hum of the city providing a gentle backdrop.

My gaze then turned to the ashtray, a silent witness to the conflict within. Frustration simmered as I argued over falling prey to her advances. Sleeping with her had never been my plan—or so I wanted to believe. Her seduction had pierced my defenses, leaving me trapped by desire. Now, examining the aftermath of the hot night, doubt followed me like a shadow, wondering if I'd taken the wrong step. The weight of our actions pressed on my conscience. I was in a constant struggle between desire and the imminent fear of the possible consequences.

Images from the night before flashed through my mind, a vivid rewind playing with my thoughts, just as my phone vibrated on the table. For a brief moment, I hesitated, caught between addressing the call and the swirl of emotions inside. With a determined exhale, I reached for the phone, longing for a break from the thoughts that were eating away at my existence.

"Anything valuable on her phone?" I asked directly, the words cutting through the call.

"I wouldn't exactly classify them as valuable," came Kristopher's reply. "She doesn't seem to have a wide circle of contacts. There's just Tiffany, her sister, Blaze, and her boss."

I pondered for a moment, releasing the smoke I had just inhaled.

"No parents listed? Not even her mother?" I asked.

"No," he answered quickly. "The call and message history mostly revolved around her sister, with occasional interactions with Blaze. But there's nothing from last night."

A pregnant pause hovered between the two of us before Kristopher resumed his speech.

"As we predicted, she is still searching for information on you. In fact, she even has a photo of you saved on her phone."

"Not surprising at all," I said.

Kristopher's tone changed to one of genuine concern.

"Do you really believe it is safe to bring her into this environment? These people would not hesitate to harm her if they knew about her past. Trust me, they will find out."

"I'm not worried about me," I replied calmly. "As for her, she won't pose a threat."

"It's not about her being a threat to you; it's about her safety," Kristopher pointed out. "Bringing her into this world could have dire consequences, and I fear she is not fully aware of what you told her yesterday. She'd had quite a bit to drink."

Deep in thought, I acknowledged Kristopher's valid concerns. However, I desperately needed a companion for this event. While it wasn't mandatory, I couldn't bear the thought of fending off countless women vying for my attention alone.

In my youth, I had indulged in many short-lived romances, but as I grew older, I longed for a more meaningful connection. I craved a partner who could truly comprehend me, something that had been lacking in my recent relationships with women.

I glanced at her once more, and the image of her always asleep in my bed made me smile slightly.

"I could get used to this," I muttered to myself before Kristopher's voice cut through my reverie.