Chapter 35 - Scarlett

The loud music blared, temporarily quieting the overwhelming thoughts that raced through my mind. With unsteady steps, I followed him to the bar, silently praying that he would order a strong drink. My mind was a jumbled mess, so I let him take the lead. Once he ordered, we found a secluded spot where we could still see the entire club. Despite my discomfort, I wasn't sure if it was just my anxiety telling me I should have stayed home or if it was the exhaustion and stress from the day taking their toll.

I plopped down on one of the couches and quickly finished off my drink without a second thought. I could sense Blaze's gaze on me, observing my every action with silent judgment. Part of me was secretly hoping he would make a sarcastic remark to break the thick tension in the air. However, he stayed quiet, which was unexpected.

As we made our way there, I debated whether or not it was the right time to discuss the confusing situation between us. But ultimately, I decided against it. I couldn't help but watch him as he took off his jacket and casually draped it on the couch. His muscles were clearly defined under his white shirt, and his long hair fell down his back in its usual flow. I was mesmerized by his mere presence, and I couldn't resist reaching out to play with his locks once more. Despite wanting to resent him for messing with my feelings, I found myself even more attracted to him than before.

As soon as he turned his gaze back to me, I pulled him closer and pressed my lips against his, desperate to escape the pain that had consumed me. This wasn't our usual dynamic; Blaze was usually the one initiating physical intimacy. He wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace, a rare occurrence that only happened when he was too drunk to speak. But now he was sober and smelled so good. I buried my face in his chest, feeling the muscles beneath me tense up. So much had happened lately, and it seemed like there was no solution in sight. Tears began to trickle down my cheeks, catching me by surprise. Blaze gently pushed me away and lifted my tear-streaked face, looking puzzled for the second time tonight. I leaned in for another kiss, but he instead planted a gentle one on my forehead while keeping one arm around my neck.

"Who hurt you?" he asked softly, his fingers running over the scars on my arms. This day filled me with fear. It wasn't the first time he had seen or touched them, but he had never shown interest in their origin until now. Even if he had asked before, I don't think I would have divulged the truth.

I remained silent, the memories of the past still causing me pain. It was a part of my life that I had tried to push away since him and Cain. He could sense my reluctance to discuss it and began kissing my neck, eventually pausing at the ring dangling from my necklace. My heart skipped a beat as he toyed with it.

"I saw you wearing only this necklace. Who gave you the ring?" he asked.

As he came back to my height, I leaned in and rested my forehead against his, closing my eyes. It was a bit unexpected that he didn't know the significance of the ring. Its meaning held painful implications for me.

"A friend gave it to me.". I hesitated before answering, not wanting to go into too much detail at the moment. I figured he would push for more information, but he simply took a sip of his drink and settled back on the couch. I studied him intently, hoping to understand what was going through his mind. He let out a sigh and ruffled his mop of red hair thoughtfully.

"The first time I saw you, I thought you were married," he admitted, avoiding eye contact with me. "The ring you're wearing is an engagement one, but I've never seen you with a man who'd be a match for you. Then I saw you with Cain and assumed you were cheating on your husband or fiancé. But now, I have no idea what's really going on with you.".

I looked at him with wide eyes, refraining from asking him what kind of man would suit me.

After a moment of hesitation, I mustered up the courage to speak. "Could you grab me another drink?" I asked nervously. "I might end up telling you about it anyway." I wasn't sure if it was the right moment for such confessions or if he was the right person to confide in, but I couldn't keep carrying this burden alone any longer. Perhaps talking about my struggles with someone else would provide some relief.