Chapter 18 - Scarlett

Present

"Are the packages ready for delivery?" I asked Liz after I finished a call with a customer.

"Yes," she replied. "I just got an update on them - they're already loaded on the ship. They were anticipating delays, but thankfully that hasn't happened", she added.

"Good", I replied before shifting my attention to my phone and sending a message. I put it o the table, next to my laptop, then returned to the email I was writing before I was interrupted.

As I typed my reply, a long sigh escaped my lips. Since I had taken over, the band had been experiencing financial losses that, thankfully, were not my fault. The lack of a suitable replacement for Cain was acutely felt.

His unique skills and contributions were invaluable, and with him in the hospital, things had changed. The finances weren't disastrous, given that the other businesses were thriving, but this vulnerability shouldn't have existed.

So far, we had managed to maintain a flawless façade, hiding all the challenges, but it was only a matter of time before someone discovered the truth. There were individuals who would have relished the opportunity to take any one of us down.

"Any progress in finding someone to take Cain's place?", I asked after she sat down next to me and lit a cigarette.

"Not yet", she replied, letting the smoke out of her mouth.

I took a moment to study her face. She was trying her best to correct the situation. It wasn't entirely her fault; trust was scarce in our line of work. Bringing on someone who could potentially jeopardize our operations would be a risky move.

"I suggest, if you agree, that we give up the search for a new candidate", Liz suggested. "I can do just fine on my own. We should focus on solving other pressing issues".

"I suppose you're right", I said picking up her cigarette and taking a drag.

"You could have asked for one", she replied, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Maybe, but I've told you more than once not to smoke in here. Cain wouldn't agree".

"But Cain isn't here now, and you have to do things your own way anyway", she immediately returned the favor, lighting another cigarette.

I rolled my eyes, then shifted my attention to my laptop, reviewing the inordinate number of emails. Just as I was about to answer another, Liz closed the laptop lid in front of me.

"Why don't we go get some lunch? I know you're skipping meals", Liz offered, handing me my jacket. "Cain would never forgive me if I let you go hungry."

"What happened to 'Cain's not here'?", I joked, as I slipped into my jacket.

Without warning, I was pinned against the wall by Liz, who stood only a few inches from me.

"You know I'm loyal to Cain; that's why you're here and not in my bed, screaming my name until your voice gives out, Liz stated.

"I bet I would", I replied, then we both burst out laughing.

"Come on, Skyler and Ash are probably waiting for us", Liz urged me, as we both walked out of the office and towards the parking lot.

Over time, I found myself becoming fond of Liz. Our friendship had bloomed rapidly since we first met, and I had no issue with her past relationship with Cain. There may have been a twinge of envy at first, but I soon realized that they had both turned to each other for support amidst their complex lives, finding solace in one another.

Through the ups and downs, she had remained a loyal and unwavering friend. Our connection deepened over time, demonstrating that strong bonds can form from unexpected situations.