Chapter 22 - Cain

I tried not to acknowledge the growing excitement inside me as I thought about the cruise and party that were just around the corner. While I had attended many similar events in the past, this one felt unique. My mind wandered to what dress Scarlett would be wearing for the occasion.

My mind had already started to wander into daydreams of her. I was imagining her in different outfits and eagerly anticipating the moment when I could undress her. We hadn't discussed our first night together, and there were no indications that there would be any more nights like it. Yet, it was clear that we couldn't keep our hands off each other.

"Cain, focus", said a deep, masculine voice that I paid no attention to. I continued to daydream about her, feeling my excitement grow more than I would have preferred. My train of thought stopped at the sudden silence around me. Blinking a few times, I realized that my friends were all looking at me, their faces amused. Staring into Liz's eyes, I knew I wouldn't escape her teasing after this encounter.

"These women are going to kill you", Thomas remarked.

I rolled my eyes. I hated it when Thomas was right, even if everything unfolded exactly as he predicted.

I was indebted to Thomas. In the past, I had harbored resentment towards him for forcing me to make a decision between going to jail or working for him. I regretted that my desperation led me to choose the latter and felt guilty about how it affected Liz.

The memory of the day I got caught stealing from him was still fresh in my mind. I had been cautious and made sure to avoid any potential witnesses, but it wasn't enough. Despite my previous successful thefts, this one ended up being a failure - or maybe not.

Thomas was on the hunt for someone to assist him with a variety of unpleasant tasks, and he required an individual with enough boldness to take them on. Personally, I would have declined his proposition and accepted imprisonment; at least there I would have access to food and wouldn't starve. However, I couldn't subject Liz to that fate; my feelings for her had grown far beyond mere companionship. I wasn't willing to let her endure such suffering.

Entering the bar had been a breeze. I chose a seat in the corner, giving me a clear view of the room. My eyes scanned the crowd, searching for potential targets - those who had indulged in too many drinks and would be easy to rob from. In the dim lighting, they wouldn't be able to see me very well, and even if they woke up with a hangover and missing money, they would simply assume they misplaced it.

I was in desperate need of money, especially since I hadn't eaten in days. The last bit of cash I had scraped together a few days ago went towards buying tampons for Liz. It wasn't an ideal situation, but I couldn't just leave her without any supplies. She was already struggling with the lack of hot water and unbearable pain from not having enough money to afford medication.

I had to get the money.

I quietly passed by a man who had indulged in so much alcohol that he was now snoring with his head slumped on the table. I cautiously approached him and quickly grabbed some cash from his wallet, along with his cigarettes and lighter from the table. Lighting one up, I felt a wave of stress wash over me. Liz hadn't shown up to school for several days, and I knew how important it was for her to graduate. And as if that wasn't enough, our landlord had threatened to kick us out of our cramped studio apartment. We had moved here a few months ago after I had killed my uncle. That's when the nightmares started. My lack of sleep made it difficult to focus on anything, especially with the constant fear of being caught hanging over my head.

I took one last drag of my cigarette, glancing around the dimly lit bar at the other patrons. As I made my way through the crowd, I slyly slipped a few more dollars into my pocket. It wasn't much, but it was a start for Liz and me. I approached the bar and ordered the strongest drink they had, hoping it would give me the courage I needed. Ever since the day I killed my uncle, something in me had changed. The once confident me was now filled with doubt and uncertainty.