Chapter 9 - Scarlett

My focus was lost in a haze as I stared at the luminous screen, my thoughts tangled and unable to align with the task ahead. My boss's achievements deserved a powerful press release, but the words wouldn't come to me. Perhaps if my mind wasn't consumed with questioning yesterday's events, I would have found the perfect phrasing. But it had been such an odd day, filled with uncertainty and doubt over whether accepting Cain's proposal had been the right decision.

I couldn't confess to him that I had changed my mind; it would have been wrong. My unwavering integrity and commitment to keeping my promises were non-negotiable traits for me, even if it meant going against my own desires. Some may have seen me as a people pleaser, but I saw it as the only way to maintain meaningful connections and avoid feeling alone. Despite my best efforts, this approach no longer seemed effective. Doubts flooded my mind, making me question if I had done enough for any of the friendships I had formed thus far.

I pushed thoughts of my broken friendships out of my mind and instead focused on Cain. I knew I should have rejected his advances last night.

I was undeniably drawn to him, but that very fact made it impossible for me to fake a relationship with him.

I had never been in a relationship like this before, and I struggled to fully comprehend it.

Maintaining this type of relationship demanded genuine care and affection from both parties, but I couldn't fake it. I have always been a firm believer in the power of love and fully committed myself to all relationships, whether they were friendships or romantic. However, my unwavering devotion also left me vulnerable, and the pain of heartbreak was doubly intense.

---- ♡ ----

By the time lunch rolled around, I had already drained my third cup of coffee in a desperate attempt to fight off the exhaustion that seemed to follow me everywhere. The night before, I couldn't even shut my eyes for an hour, my mind consumed by the mysterious bond between Cain and Blaze. Their dynamic was a riddle that I was determined to solve, no matter what. I wondered what happened after I left last night - did they argue or simply ignore each other and go their separate ways?

An uneasy feeling washed over me, and I reached for my phone instinctively. My fingers searched frantically for any sign of either of them. A strange sense of dread hung in the air, adding to my growing concern. Blaze usually would have sent me a message by now, but there was nothing from him. Cain was most likely occupied with his clients, so it wasn't surprising that he hadn't reached out. As for my sister, I had intentionally avoided contacting her.

I leaned back in my chair and let out a satisfied sigh. I had finished the press release just as the deadline was approaching. Soon after, my boss entered the office and pulled up a seat next to mine. His gaze followed the words that I had carefully crafted. To my delight, he thanked me for the work and gave me a nod of approval.

The topic of the stolen cards came up once more in our conversation. The investigation had hit a dead end, leaving the entire superhero organization in a state of hush. With no solid leads to follow, the potential list of suspects was endless and even included the highly regarded Inferno Knight.

He stood up from his chair and stated, "You can have the rest of the week off. I'll be out on assignment, and there's not much for you to do here anyway. You've completed all of the urgent tasks, and anything else can be done from home." He then lit a cigarette and took a seat on the couch near the window.

I rose from my seat and made my way to the cupboard behind me. From there, I retrieved a cup and an ashtray, then I inserted a new espresso pod into the coffee machine. Then, I set the ashtray down on the coffee table in front of my boss. As the machine brewed the coffee, I headed towards the mini fridge in my office. I retrieved a bottle of plain water and brought it back to the coffee table, placing it next to the freshly brewed coffee. My boss nodded his thanks as I returned to my seat.