10

20 years.

It had been 20 years. Since Elizabeth last saw Taylor. That painful memory replayed in her head. She tried to forget it all and move on but she couldn't. Not when Taylor was everywhere.

She did it. Just like she said she would. She rose to superstardom and everyone loved her. Elizabeth watched her grow from a distance. Having to listen and hear about boyfriends and exes. Hearing rumors of possible women in her life, which she constantly tried to hide or cover up and deny.

She watched her moment get stolen and watched her cry in some man's arms, she wanted nothing more than to be the one there to comfort her and tell her everything was okay. She watched the good and the bad. She watched how they built her up and tore her apart.

But regardless of her fame and popularity. She was still and forever would be 'Tater Tot'. But it was hard after Taylor left. It took a toll on her. With her mother gone and her best friend gone. It was all too much.

Elizabeth practically raised herself. She was working in Finance like her father once did. He struggled with alcohol for years until her senior year of high school. He worked on becoming sober but the alcohol won in the end and he was in the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver.

It was a rough couple of years. Once she started making money and had a stable job she moved out of the house, it had too many painful reminders.

She devoted her time to her work because that's all she knew. She didn't care to focus on love because she didn't see the point in it anymore. From what she knew, it all ended badly anyways.

But although she wasn't seeking love, love was seeking her. That's when Alexander St. James happened.

They were colleagues at work and both worked in finance. They were good friends until Alexander started to feel more and developed feelings for Elizabeth over the years. They kept it professional over time until the day he finally asked her on a date. She agreed, they hit it off, and the rest was history.

They shared an apartment and had been together for 4 years now. It was the first time in a long time that she felt content and happy with someone again. He gave her peace.

-

Elizabeth was sorting through her father's medical documents. He was on the list for a transplant but because he wasn't exactly in the worst state yet, he wasn't very high on the list. But there were still medical bills and legal issues to be dealt with.

"What are you up to babe?" Alexander asked as he approached Elizabeth, his arms wrapped around her waist from behind as he looked over her shoulder at the documents.

"I'm going to see my dad and get some things sorted out." She sighed and gathered all the papers.

"How's he doing?" Alex asked.

"He has cirrhosis what do you think?" She sarcastically asked.

He held his hands up in defense, "I know it's a stupid question but you never know." He shrugged.

Elizabeth playfully rolled her eyes," I just have to make sure we have legal details sorted out, and then I need to sort his medical expenses."

"Can I help with anything?" He asked. Elizabeth shook her head, "No I have it covered don't worry."

"I'm serious, if you need help I'm here." He offered. "And I appreciate it Alex, but I'm telling you it's okay. I need to go." She grabbed the documents and her purse and got ready to leave.

"Wait!" He said just as she was about to leave. "What?" She asked. "You almost forgot this..." He pulled her close and gently pressed a kiss to her lips.

Nothing. She felt nothing. Alex was amazing, he was her best friend and partner all at once but whenever they kissed. She felt nothing. She felt guilty that she didn't feel that spark. The one they say you're supposed to feel in the movies when you meet the love of your life.

He always said he felt it when he saw her or kissed her, but she didn't feel a thing. She just told herself it was all bullshit. The movies weren't always accurate, so why should she believe what they say about love? Why should she judge her relationship on what movies say about love? She cared about him.

That was love.

That was enough.

He pulled away and admired Elizabeth's face. "Be safe, I'll see you later." He smiled. Elizabeth gave him a soft smile and left