22

Sunlight was creaking through the opening of the curtains and shining on Elizabeth's face. She shifted around in bed and rubbed her eyes. She reached over to grab her phone and check the time. She had 3 missed calls from the hospital. She sat up in bed and tried to call back but the line was busy. "Damn it." She mumbled and rushed around to get ready. Alex was woken up by the noise she was making and tiredly looked around the room. "What's going on?" He yawned.

"The hospital called and I didn't hear it and the line is busy so I don't know if anything is wrong and I need to get down there." She replied.

"Do you need me to come with you?"Alex asked.

Elizabeth sighed, "No I just need to make sure everything is okay but I'll call you if I need you."

"Betty." Alex sighed.

"Alex, I'll call you if I need you." She replied and walked off to grab her purse and keys. Alex followed her out, "Can you stop pushing me away like this? We're engaged now. Let me be there for you."

Elizabeth sighed and looked over at him, "Alex..."

He held her hands and stared into her eyes, "Please Betty just let me be there for you." She looked down at his hands. She knew she couldn't push him away, she had to play the part. He was sincere and always looked after her even in difficult moments when she pushed everyone away. She took a deep breath and cupped his face in her hands. "I love you, but this is a family matter and I need to go make sure everything is okay." She replied.

"Am I not family?" Alex questioned.

"Alex...please." She sighed.

"Fine. Just call me if you need anything." He replied as she left the apartment.

--

Elizabeth rushed up to the floor her father was on and saw some nurses leaving his room. She felt sick to her stomach with anxiety. "Betty." One of the nurses said as she noticed Elizabeth make her way over. "I didn't hear the calls, what's wrong?" She asked. "The doctor is with your dad right now." The nurse replied. "Is he alright?" Elizabeth asked. The nurse faintly smiled, "He's still breathing if that's what you're worried about. But the doctor can answer your questions, go on in."

Elizabeth nodded and entered the room. Her father looked even more fatigued than usual. He saw Elizabeth enter the room and there was a small spark of joy that came to his eyes. The doctor looked over and gave a slight nod, "Nice to see you, Betty."

Elizabeth approached her father's bedside, "Is everything alright?"

The doctor sighed and looked down at Mason. "It's not looking good, it's progressing worse." He replied.

Elizabeth held her father's hand. Mason stared down at her hand holding his and softly smiled. It had been a while since she had shown him any kind of affection but he was enjoying every second he had of it. "Well this means he should be moved up the transplant list doesn't it?" Elizabeth asked.

"Technically yes, he did move up the list. But he's still not priority." The doctor replied.

"How is he not priority?" Elizabeth asked, growing frustrated.

"Although he isn't in the best condition he's at least in a stable enough condition rather than a critical one. So unfortunately he still isn't high enough on the list for a transplant." The doctor explained. Elizabeth shook her head in disbelief. "Try to get rest and the nurses will be by to do more frequent checkups." The doctor instructed.

Mason nodded as the doctor left the room. Elizabeth felt her father lightly squeeze her hand. "Don't worry about me, honey." He reassured her. She glanced down at him and set his hand down. "Just try to get rest Dad...I'm going to talk to the nurses." She replied. He slightly nodded and shut his eye to rest. She stepped out of the room and shut the door behind her. She looked over at the Nurse's desk and saw an older woman who looked vaguely familiar talking to one of the nurses. The woman looked over and locked eyes with Elizabeth. Elizabeth felt her body grow cold.

It was her mother.

"Betty?" Eleanor asked unsure and surprised to see her.

"What are you doing here." Elizabeth glared. The nurses silently observed. "I got a call about your dad in the hospital... I...I.."Eleanor struggled to explain. She knew she had no proper way to explain herself. Elizabeth glared over at the nurses. " Why was she called?"

"When your father was in dire condition before he became stable we were trying to get in contact with you and since you didn't answer we contacted the next emergency contact on the list." The nurse explained. "I'm his only emergency contact!" Elizabeth shouted and looked over at her mother, "I'm the only family he has anymore."

Eleanor looked away ashamed. "Well, she's on the contact list as his wife." The nurse tried to explain. "She stopped being his wife the day she decided to abandon him and her fucking daughter. Take her off the list and don't let her anywhere near him before I get my lawyer involved." Elizabeth ordered. The nurses nodded.

"Betty, sweetheart... please can we talk?" Eleanor begged.

Elizabeth glared, " You were gone 20 fucking years, I don't even know why you came back."

"Betty if you would just let me explain." Eleanor pleaded

"I don't want to hear it... Eleanor." Elizabeth coldly replied and entered back into her father's room.