32

Elizabeth stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom and admired the dress she had on. "Sorry, I left my phone in here." Alex said as he entered the room dressed in his active wear. He did a double take and locked his gaze on Elizabeth. He admired her in awe. "What do you think about this dress for the party?" She asked. Alex admired the elegant gown she had on and admired how beautifully it flowed and perfectly curved her figure as if it was specially made and unique for her and her only. "It's amazing." He smiled.

"I picked it up today, I thought it looked good but I wanted your opinion." She smiled. "I think it looks amazing. but how do you feel about it? Is it what you really want?" He asked. She turned to look back at herself in the mirror, "Well I did choose it out, didn't I?"

He chuckled, "Yes, but sometimes you're never one hundred percent sure until you try something out. Just because it seemed ideal and what you wanted at first doesn't mean you still do."

"Are you trying to make me doubt my own choice?" Elizabeth questioned. "I'm just making sure you're making the right choice. Don't worry about anyone else's opinion, how do you feel about it?" He asked. She stared at herself in the mirror unsure, "I...I don't think I know anymore."

"You do know." He replied. "Well, do you think everyone will like it too?" She asked. He softly laughed and shook his head, "Betty, stop worrying about what everyone else is going to think. Who cares, okay? The only person who matters is you, Is this the dress you want?" He asked.

Elizabeth took a deep breath and stared at herself in the mirror. "Yes."

"Then it's the perfect dress." He smiled.

"Perfect?" She questioned.

"It's perfect because you chose it." He replied.

"I don't know if I'd call it perfect." She sighed and stared at herself in the mirror. He approached from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Well, I'd think you're perfect no matter what you chose. You'll never stop being perfect in my eyes." He smiled. She faintly smiled in response and stared at herself in the mirror. "I'm off to the gym I'll be back soon." He kissed her on the cheek and left the room.

--

"Have you gone by to check on Mason?" Alex asked as they ate their dinner. "He's the last person I want to see right now." Elizabeth mumbled and poked around at her plate. "What happened?" He asked.

"I did everything I could for him. He's not my responsibility anymore." She replied. He watched as she continued to eat her food," Is he finally getting the transplant?" He asked. "No, and I don't care." She coldly replied.

"But what happened?" He asked. "He's just another selfish prick I don't need around. He expects some kind of free pass for being a crappy father." Elizabeth replied. "What did he say?" He asked. "He's been trying to play the good dad act as if he didn't make my life a living hell for the past 20 years now." She replied. "What if he's genuinely trying?" Alex asked.

Elizabeth sighed, "It's like you said...he and my mom had 20 years. Why now?" She questioned. "It's all bullshit." She mumbled and angrily stabbed at the food on her plate. Alex silently watched. "How about we put on a movie after dinner? Your pick." He attempted to change the conversation. "Are you sure?" She asked. "Yeah, it'll be fun." He smiled. Elizabeth playfully rolled her eyes, "You always fall asleep during the movie."

"No, I don't." Alex said slightly offended.

"Yes, you do." She laughed.

"Fine, I promise I won't." He replied.

"We'll see." Elizabeth laughed and continued to eat.

--

Sure enough, as she predicted, Alex was sound asleep. She looked over and watched him sleep with a pillow cuddled in his arms. She smiled to herself and continued watching the movie on her own. Her phone lit up the dark room as a notification came in. She leaned over to see what it was and saw Taylor's name appear.

Can we talk? - Taylor

Elizabeth glanced over at Alex to make sure he was still sleeping. She stared down at her phone and stared at Taylor's name. She felt conflicted. Part of her wanted to respond, but the other part felt like it was better to not engage.

She let the minutes pass by and didn't respond. Taylor's name came up as she called. Elizabeth glanced over to make sure Alex was still asleep before getting up and going off to the bedroom to answer the call.

"What?" Elizabeth asked.

"Why have you been avoiding all my messages?" Taylor asked.

"Taylor I already told you I can't do this." Elizabeth replied.

"Because you don't want to or because you're scared?" Taylor questioned.

"Because I don't know if you really love me." Elizabeth answered.

"What? Of course I do" Taylor replied.

"I don't think you do." Elizabeth sighed.

"Betty, what are you talking about? Of course, I love you." Taylor replied.

"If you loved me you wouldn't have left me the way you did. You could've called...You could've sent me a damn letter for fucks sake. But you left and never told me why. I'm sorry, but I can't do this anymore. I'm marrying Alex." Elizabeth replied and hung up before Taylor had the chance to respond.