13

The two enjoyed their dinner together and caught up on what they had been up to for the past 20 years. "I can't believe you ended up working in finance like our dads." Taylor laughed. "It's what I knew." Elizabeth laughed. "You? knew about finance?" Taylor questioned. "You know about finance, I've seen your portfolio Swift." Elizabeth replied arms crossed. "Fair enough." Taylor laughed.

"I just found myself doing a lot of reading when..." Elizabeth hesitated. She had left out certain details of her life when catching Taylor up, her mother leaving being one of them. "I just got curious and found myself reading through my dad's books and suddenly got into finance."

Taylor softly smiled, "That's nice. I always thought you would go the florist route like your mom did, you always loved gardening with her."

Elizabeth stared down at her plate in silence. "Yeah...guess things don't always work out the way we thought they would." She replied. "So you leave tomorrow?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yeah, unfortunately. I have some work I need to get back to so this trip was just a little walk down memory lane. I was curious to see how much changed." Taylor explained. "Speaking of that...Were you visiting your parents when I saw you at the house?" Taylor asked.

"Oh uh...no, I was actually checking on the house for my dad." Elizabeth replied. "Is he out of town?" Taylor asked. "He's...in the hospital." Elizabeth replied.

"What? Why?" Taylor asked with concern.

"He has cirrhosis. He's on the list waiting for a transplant. I've just been helping him out with everything." Elizabeth sighed. Taylor gave her a sympathetic stare and hesitated to reach out and comfort her with any sort of affection. "I'm so sorry to hear that. How's he holding up?" Taylor asked.

"He's been...trying. He's been surprisingly positive through it all and I have no idea why or how anyone in his position could be." Elizabeth said poking around at her food. "Well it's good he could at least keep a brave face on." Taylor nodded.

"I suppose." Elizabeth sighed, "But enough about my sad life what about you?" She asked desperately wanting to change the conversation off of her. "What about me?" Taylor asked with a coy smile.

"Who's the lucky guy that finally got you?" Elizabeth softly laughed. Taylor's smile slightly fell. She wanted to gag at the mention of a man in her life. She was tired of always being asked about it but she couldn't blame her for asking.

"I've been happily single for a while now. Not really interested in anything." She shrugged. "Oh...nice." Elizabeth faintly smiled and tried to hide her disappointment. She didn't know why she was disappointed to hear that, she was in a happy relationship with a great man that she loved. Taylor's love life shouldn't affect her in any way but she couldn't help but feel deeply about it.

They sat in silence for a moment. Taylor tried to think of a way to make their time together longer. She didn't want this night to end, she'd been waiting 20 years for a chance like this again. "Here's the check, please let me know if you need anything." The server said with a smile and walked off.

Both Taylor and Elizabeth reached out for the check. They both stared one another down. "I can take care of it." Taylor said. Elizabeth shook her head, "I don't want you thinking I'm going to take advantage just because you're some millionaire, I can pay the bill." Taylor slightly glared, "Betty I invited you out to dinner, I'm paying." Taylor tried to slide the bill away and Elizabeth quickly pulled it away and tucked her card inside.

"Betty." Taylor glared.

"Taylor." Elizabeth replied, her face neutral and unfazed by Taylor's intimidating stare.

"Why?" Taylor asked.

Elizabeth faintly smiled, "Consider it an attempt at an apology for that night at the dance." The server came by and took the bill. Taylor stared at Elizabeth in silence as the server came back around with the receipt. She signed it off and left a tip.

"There's another way you can make it up to me." Taylor said breaking the silence.

Elizabeth looked at her confused. "How so?"

"Come over, I'm just staying at a hotel in the city and I would love to have more time to hang out and catch up with you before I leave." Taylor softly smiled.

Elizabeth contemplated the idea for a moment. Part of her wanted to but part of her kept thinking about Alex. "I shouldn't be out too late." Elizabeth sighed.

"Still have a curfew?" Taylor joked.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "No but I do have a lot to do so I should get home and rest up."

Taylor nodded. She tried to hide her disappointment. "I see. Well maybe we can catch up again, you do have my number now."

"We can definitely keep in touch and ramble on about all the stupid things we used to." Elizabeth laughed. "I'm looking forward to it." Taylor laughed. "So shall we?" Elizabeth asked ready to leave. Taylor nodded and the two made their way out of the restaurant. The streets weren't so busy anymore. The night air was chilly but it was relaxing.

"So I'll talk to you soon?" Elizabeth asked.

"Definitely." Taylor smiled.

The two went in for a hug and tightly embraced one another. Elizabeth felt comfort in Taylor's arms. It felt like something she hadn't felt in a long time and she didn't realize how much she needed it until now. Taylor slightly pulled away. Their faces inches from each other, Taylor's hands still around Elizabeth's waist, and Elizabeth's still around her neck. Elizabeth glanced down at Taylor's lips as Taylor did the same.

Elizabeth quickly pulled away and gave her a warm smile, "It was nice seeing you again. I hope you have a safe trip."

Taylor faintly smiled, "Thanks. It was nice to see you too."

Elizabeth smiled and walked off. Taylor watched Elizabeth become smaller as she walked further and further out of reach until she was no longer in sight.