27

Elizabeth made her way home. She was exhausted after a long day and just wanted to get home and rest. She made her way down the hall of her apartment building and saw someone sitting and waiting by her door.

"Taylor?" She asked unsure. Taylor stood up once she saw Elizabeth approach. "what are you doing here? I told you I'm not doing this anymore." Elizabeth whispered.

"I know your mom came back." Taylor replied. Elizabeth stared at her in silence. "Why didn't you tell me?" Taylor asked. Elizabeth ignored her and tried to unlock her door.

"Betty." Taylor sighed as Elizabeth's hands grew shaky and she struggled to open her door. Tears began to well up in eyes, her heart racing faster, eager to get inside and avoid the subject altogether. Taylor noticed Elizabeth's hands shaking and reached out to grab them. "Stop!" Elizabeth shouted trying to fight Taylor off.

Taylor held her hands back. "Leave me alone I can't do this." Elizabeth tried to hold back her tears. Taylor stayed silent and wrapped her in hug. She felt Elizabeth struggle to break free. She ultimately gave into her embrace and broke down in her arms.

She silently sobbed into Taylor's shoulder. Taylor comfortingly rubbed her back and held her close. "I'm not here to stress you out about anything...I still know when you need a friend." Taylor whispered. Elizabeth relaxed in Taylor's arms as her tears slipped out.

"I'm just tired...I can't do this anymore." Elizabeth whispered. "I know. Let's just get you inside." Taylor gathered Elizabeth's things and unlocked her door. Elizabeth walked through the door and Taylor followed close behind. She set aside her things and watched as Elizabeth made her way toward the kitchen.

Elizabeth grabbed a bottle of wine from the fridge. Her hands shakily tried to unscrew the bottle. Taylor made her way over and put a comforting hand on hers and took the bottle. "I got it." She softly spoke and unscrewed the bottle.

Elizabeth watched as Taylor unscrewed the bottle and poured the wine into her glass. "There." She set aside the bottle and Elizabeth lifted her glass to take a sip.

"So what happened?" Taylor asked.

"She showed up to the hospital because they called her. She was still set as my dad's emergency contact and we ran into each other. It...it just didn't go well." Elizabeth sighed.

"Did you talk to her? Did she explain why she left?" Taylor asked. Elizabeth looked over at Taylor and remained silent. Taylor waited for a response. "Did she?" Taylor asked.

Elizabeth looked away, "Somewhat."

"Well what was the reason?" Taylor asked.

"Why are you asking so many questions?!" Elizabeth shouted in frustration.

"Why are you avoiding my questions?" Taylor questioned.

"Why are you even here?" Elizabeth glared.

"Because I care Betty!" Taylor shouted.

"Well stop! I don't need you to care about me or baby me, I can't take care of myself." Elizabeth argued.

"Why do you always do this?" Taylor asked.

"Do what?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Push everyone who loves you away!" Taylor shouted.

" Because there's no point in holding on to people who say they love you one day only to leave the next." Elizabeth coldly replied.

"I told you I loved you and I meant every word." Taylor replied.

"And yet you left too." Elizabeth replied.

The two stared at one another in silence. Alex entered the apartment and saw the two staring one another down. He immediately sensed the tension between them. "What's going on here?" He asked. Elizabeth looked over at him as Taylor looked away.

"Nothing. Taylor was just leaving." Elizabeth replied and looked back at Taylor. Taylor stared at Elizabeth in silence. Alex silently observed the two with slight suspicion.

"Yeah... I was just leaving." Taylor made her way towards the door. "Nice meeting you." She faintly smiled and walked past Alex and out of the apartment.

Alex looked back over at Elizabeth. "What was that about?"

"Nothing." She sighed and walked off.