Chapter TWENTY THREE - Gryffindor - Slytherin

Standing in the Gryffindor locker room, I nervously adjusted my broomstick, trying to keep my focus on the present moment.

I had trained hard for this, and I knew that I was good at it. Or so I told myself.

Griffin, our charismatic team captain, was in high spirits and rallying us all with his infectious enthusiasm. "This is not just the first match of the season, my team," he proclaimed, his eyes full with confidence. "This is the opportunity we've been waiting for—the chance to unveil our true strength, to show the Slytherins what Gryffindors are truly made of! This year, I am immensely proud of each and every one of you. Together, we shall make this season nothing short of extraordinary." With a swift motion, he thrust his broom towards the ceiling, his voice reverberating with passion. "One team, one dream!"

As if on cue, the entire team shouted back, "One team, one dream!"

Feeling Natty's elbow in my side, I turned to her and she saw the trepidation etched on my face. "Ophi, you look like you're about to pass out," she said, her voice full of concern.

"I know," I admitted with a sigh. "The entire glory of Gryffindor house rests on our shoulders."

Natty gave me a reassuring smile. "Don't look at it like that. Enjoy the game, and success will come naturally."

As we emerged from the locker room, we met with the Slytherin team, their resplendent green and silver robes glistening under the radiant sunlight. My eyes involuntarily sought out Sebastian, and it was no surprise to find his gaze fixed upon me. Stepping closer, he fell into stride beside me, his voice laced with playful banter. "If you were any paler, Darcy, I might have mistaken you for the ethereal Grey Lady herself."

I shot him a mocking glare, secretly admiring how the quidditch uniform accentuated his features. I quickly looked away, feeling my cheeks flush at the sudden warmth that spread across my face. "Save your ghostly comments for someone else, Sallow." I retorted with a huff.

Sebastian flashed me a wicked grin. "Don't worry, I'll help you ease your sorrows after the match," he said with a wink, before joining Imelda at the front of the Slytherin team.

I rolled my eyes, a smirk playing on my lips as I adjusted the grip on my broom, preparing for takeoff. The anticipation crackled in the air, the atmosphere buzzing with energy. I glanced upwards, my eyes capturing the sight of a vibrant sea of red and green in the stands.

Garreth Weasley's amplified voice boomed across the pitch, captivating the attention of all. "Ladies and gentlemen! The moment you've been waiting for has arrived! Brace yourselves, for this is going to be one wild ride!"

Gone were the remnants of yesterday's foul weather, replaced by mere puddles that served as a reminder of the thunderous downpour. The air was thick with anticipation as we awaited the command to soar into action.

Madame Kogawa, hovered gracefully in the air, her presence commanding respect. The two teams, positioned on her opposing sides, awaited her instructions. She addressed us all, her voice projecting authority. "I expect a fair and spirited match today, players. Remember, we are all at the mercy of Professor Black's watchful eye. Let us strive to keep each other out of the hospital wing. Brooms at the ready! On my count... One, two, three, GO!" With a swift wave of her wand, she released the Bludgers and the Snitch, and tossed the Quaffle high into the air.

The game was on.

Imelda Reyes, the Slytherin captain and chaser, took the first possession of the Quaffle and soared towards the Gryffindor goal baskets.

"Reyes with the Quaffle! She's making a move towards the Gryffindor goal! Gryffindors, you better catch her before it's too late!" Garreth warned, his tone laced with bias.