Chapter THIRTY TWO - Ominis's Calling

"Jackdaw, how delightful to see you once more," I attempted to utter the words swiftly, masking any hint of disappointment that lingered.

"Ophelia! You've made it!" Jackdaw exclaimed with elation. "I thought you had completely forgotten that I invited you to the Deathday party last year." Descending to our level, to be able to look me in the eye.

"Well, you see," I nervously scratched the back of my head, wanting to avoid giving the impression that our arrival was a mere coincidence. "I wouldn't have missed it."

"And you've brought a companion," Jackdaw snarled, glancing in Ominis's direction. "Which is understandable, of course, as it isn't exactly easy to dance with ghosts," he added in a slightly exasperated tone. "Nevertheless, I would have been more than willing to ask you to dance regardless."

A moment of palpable silence hung in the air. Ominis tilted his head to the side, not voicing a question.

"And who do I have the pleasure of encountering in you? You're a Gaunt, aren't you?" Jackdaw inquired of Ominis.

"Is that the impression I give off?" replied the Slytherin in a less-than-friendly tone.

"Oh, I didn't mean it in that sense," Jackdaw quickly clarified. "In my time, there was a portrait of Salazar Slytherin, depicting him in his youth. I must say, the resemblance is striking."

Ominis must have worn the same shocked expression as I did. I had only ever seen depictions of the founder of Slytherin with an aged beard, which would never have revealed the uncanny resemblance.

"Where is this portrait?" I asked. I would die to see if it's true, or as I know Jackdaw, he likely exaggerates the facts.

"It was taken down and put away in some storage room during my time here. The young lad in the portrait frequently insulted the students, and the headmaster had finally had enough of him," Jackdaw explained.

"Why am I not surprised," Ominis snidely remarked.

Determined, I made up my mind that if I found any free time in my busy schedule, I would search some of the storerooms for the portrait.

"So, are you joining us for a dance?" Jackdaw requested, eager for our participation.

"Well, um..." I began to apologize, but Ominis surprised me with his response.

"Of course," he said, extending his arm.

With that, Jackdaw glanced back into the main room, motioning for us to follow him.

I looped my arm around Ominis, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips." But you don't even enjoy dancing!" I snorted at him.

"In this setting, it's different," Ominis mused. "I may not grasp the rhythm of modern music, and I'm hesitant to let myself go with it. But the waltz is different. The steps are defined, and the direction is clear, even for someone like me. And the music is enchanting," he explained.

"Well, alright, but I must confess, I don't know how to waltz," I nervously glanced around the chamber.

He smiled at me. "That's fine; I'll lead you. Just make sure we don't collide with any walls."

"Deal," I laughed. And together, we stepped onto the center of the dance floor.

Ominis expertly positioned me, his hand resting on my waist while the other held mine in a gentle grip. Around us, ghostly figures swayed in synchrony, their bizarre conversations fading into the melodies of the enchanting music. We waited for the next song to begin.