Chapter TWENTY NINE - The Shop of Shadows and Shady Deals

I offered Sebastian my infinity pouch to store the chocolates, ensuring that he promised not to toss them into the lake, even if they were infested with a hundred spiders. He agreed with a grateful smile, and together we walked back to Hogwarts, basking in the warm glow of the setting sun.

As we strolled through the village, a rejuvenated Sebastian, showing no trace of his earlier hangover, couldn't resist pausing in front of the Sprintwiches Sporting Needs shop's window. He eagerly eyed the latest brooms and novelties on display while Ominis and I exchanged knowing glances, silently hoping that this window-shopping detour wouldn't consume too much of our time. Ominis, in particular, seemed somewhat disinterested, as he harbored no fascination for brooms or flying. Having already acquired the newest broom advancements before the school year began, I was just about to urge Sebastian to move along when a peculiar house-elf caught my attention. It was diligently sweeping the street in one of the narrow alleys, its gaze fixed upon me with an odd expression.

"What is it?" Ominis asked, noticing my every movement.

"Follow me," I said meaningfully, prompting the boys to join me. Ominis raised an eyebrow in curiosity while Sebastian reluctantly tore his gaze away from the shop window, grumbling all the while. Together, we approached the diligent house elf, sweeping in front of a dilapidated building with boarded-up doors. Seeing the abandoned shop struck me as peculiar, considering I had never noticed it before. Confusion painted the faces of Sebastian and Ominis as they wondered why I was engaging with the house elf.

"I noticed you watching me. Do you need something from me?" I addressed the elf.

"Hello there. I was just wondering if you might be interested in having your own shop—and a house elf to assist you in running it," The older female elf asked and looked at us with a mix of curiosity and hope, her large eyes shining. She was clad in a simple, greenish robe-like garment, and her voice sounded even squeakier than Deek's.

"Why would you ask us? We are clearly students," I remarked, gesturing to myself and the boys, both adorned in Slytherin robes.

Sebastian, unable to contain his skepticism, said, "You expect us to invest in that heap of rubble, elf?" He pointed at the dilapidated house with a doubtful expression. Ominis joined him, using the red light from his wand to inspect the battered structure. It was undoubtedly in poor condition, but my curiosity was instantly ignited. After all, what's the point of mastering repair spells if you never have a chance to put them to use?

I brushed off Sebastian's comment with a dismissive gesture. "Pay him no mind, elf, uh... what's your name? Give me all the details."

"My name is Penny. Penny's mistress is selling the shop, and I'm excited to find a new owner!" she exclaimed. "You might be surprised to know that Penny possesses the ability to sell practically anything."

"Really?" Ominis asked skeptically, his voice tinged with doubt. His expression conveyed his lack of enthusiasm.

"Indeed," Penny confirmed. "Penny understands that, at first glance, it may not seem like much. However, the location is excellent."

"Not much?" Sebastian interjected. "Do you honestly believe we have enough money as students to purchase a shop?" It was a valid question that echoed in all our minds.

"Penny noticed Miss's attire... The most distinguished wizards wear suits made of such material. I'm certain Miss can afford to have her own shop. Besides, you can give Penny practically anything you wish to sell. It won't be a burden for you once the shop is up and running," the house elf replied.

I maintained a smile, appreciating the compliment and the elf's recognition of my passion for fashion.

Ominis leaned closer and whispered, concern evident in his voice, "My dear, that offer sounds too good to be true. Something feels off about it."