☄️The Distance Between☄️

A loud beeping sound rings abruptly in my ears

A loud beeping sound rings abruptly in my ears. My eyes land on a black alarm clock sitting on my nightstand.

"Oh my god mom, come on!" I groan

It hasn't even been two days since the fight with Jasmine and she's already applying these nut ass rules.

"Get your ass up, Jahseh! You got shit to do!" She yells

I hastily climb out of bed. I pull on a hoodie appropriate for the cool fall weather.

I already know Ski is waiting for me outside so I run down the steps to the kitchen. Jasmine has on some headphones and is frying some bacon. She has on some raichu shorts with her ass slightly poking out the bottom, having that much ass should be a felony. I tear my eyes away from her, pour myself a cup of coffee and add some sugar.

She's acting so weird. Normally she would hit me or have some smart ass remark to say out of her mouth for touching her stuff. She just places the coffee pitcher back and continues cooking, not even looking at me. The last thing I have time for is her weird ass attitude, she'll get over it. I sit next to ski and we do our signature handshake.

"Ayy, you got yours?" He wiggles a blunt in my face and does a lil dance

"Hell yeah, fuck nigga" I light mines up and take a sip of my coffee

Ski faces curls up and he turns in my direction. "Damn nigga you ain't offer me none? What happened to hospitality in this bitch?" He laughs sarcastically

"If you don't take your bamboo body built ass in there and get your own fucking cup, nigga!"

He sits his blunt in the ashtray and runs in the house. He slides next to Jasmine and starts pouring coffee in his cup. He leans over and says something to her but she doesn't budge. She just continues cooking and doesn't make eye contact. The patio door slides out and he sits back in his seat.

"Yo is she good? She still mad about the Brazil thing?"

"Nah." I blow out a gust of smoke "Well yes but now it's some new shit. Last night I saw her nearly about to kiss that bum ass nigga she came to the beach with. She had out candles and chocolate strawberries and shit, they both wrapped up under a cover like they was about to fuck. Me and Lola fucked around and made her mad so a big ass fight broke out. I was fucking that nigga up and she was mopping the floor with Lola. Choking her and shit. She even pushed her in the pool! Mom let her sleep in the guest room for the night, but she gotta go home in a little bit. Long story short, we fucked up the living room so she's making us get jobs and pay for the repairs. And we can't have company or go anywhere. So after this you gotta go bro." This whole situation got me on ten. It's definitely gonna take more than weed to clear my head. This shit feels like being on house arrest all over again.

"It's gonna be alright, bro. School starts in a few days, we'll see eachother there. We signed up for all the same classes, remember?" He smiles brightly and pats my shoulder. He gets up and walks toward the gate leading to his house. I finish a leftover cigarette and walk in the house. Jasmine is seated at the table with my mom and Aiden eating breakfast. I peer behind her only to see a clean kitchen and freshly washed dishes. Damn, she could've saved me some food at least.

I grab a pop tart out the cabinet and walk to the steps.

"Jahseh don't forget your responsibilities today. And I'm running late for work so you gotta take that girl home."

My eyes roll and I sigh "Okay." I walk to the guest room and pass her the pop tart.

"Here's breakfast. Get your stuff, I'm taking you home."

She nods and grabs her bag off of the floor. We get in the car and I pull off.

I get up and clean my used dishes before putting them in the dish rack

"I gotta go , but I'll see you guys when I get back." I say while grabbing my bag

"And where doing you think you're going?" Cleo says with suspicion

"I put in some applications last night and I received a follow up call for an interview today . I'll come home straight after, and my location will be on all day."

"Okay good, don't go anywhere else. I'm serious." A quick kiss is laid on my cheek from her and Aiden.

"We love you, Jasmine." Aiden says while hugging me.

"I love you too, pup." I pull his head into my chest and hug him back. We all exit through the front of the house. Cleo straps him into the backseat and I begin the 5 minute walk to my interview.

Everything was so good in the beginning. Now I can't help but wonder if this shit is truly worth it. It wouldn't take much to get out of here, all I'd have to do is tell my social worker that I don't want to stay here. But what would that mean for me and Jahseh? What would Aiden think if I just up and left? Would that hurt him?

The front of the store comes into view. I walk in and greet the counter person.

"Hello, I am here for an interview. Is Amina here?"

The worker nods and shouts in the back. A tanned skinned woman with tight curls emerges and politely greets me.

"You can come back here and we can get the interview started. "

She escorts me behind the counter and into a big room with industrial size kitchen equipment.

"When I saw your resume I was thoroughly impressed. Your leadership qualities and charitable work drew me in so I'll just cut to the chase. I am offering you a full time position. The pay is $15.50 an hour, 5 hour shifts, 4 days a week, and it comes with company incentives and benefits. We cover health insurance and 35 percent of our proceeds go to several aid programs."

She gives me a tour of the facility and informs me of what my position will consist of.

"So, are you interested in joining our team?" A warm smile spreads across her face. Her hand is extended, waiting for my answer.

"I would love to!" I shake her hand and smile.

"Okay good. I'll just need you to sign a few things and I'll need to xerox your I.D and your social."

"Okay."

I finish signing the documents and put the information packet in my bag.

"Thanks again. Have a good day." She waves goodbye and I walk out of the store

Hopefully this job will put things right again between me and Cleo, I hate that I hurt her. I hate when she's mad at me. I just want to be a good daughter. It shouldn't be hard to be a good daughter. Something must be wrong with me.

A tear threatens to fall but I quickly shut my eyes and wipe them. The tissue blows out of my hand into the wind. I put in my earbuds and start the walk back home.

A/N: seems like Jasmine already has a head start on Jahseh. School is about to start for them, I wonder what's gonna unfold next....😈