Three | Safe

EZEKIEL

(Age Fifteen)

Lorelei was plating our breakfast when she told Dad, "For once you are not late, Jeremiah. So, please sit down and have a proper breakfast before you leave for work, okay?"

"And for once you need to listen to me. You don't look well, take a day off and rest." Dad scolded her, watching her intently.

"You should be the one taking rest, not me. I just have a slight cold, that's it."

Cyrus and I shared a look and he smirked. We both were thinking the same thing.

"Did you take some medicine? Go to the doctor? Rest?"

She groaned loudly and finally faced him, planting her hands on her hips. "Mr Vandeleur, if you don't listen to me then I am quitting this job. Your kids are grown up anyway, you don't need me now."

Dad scowled, pushing his spectacles up his nose. "Don't be ridiculous. You are not going anywhere."

"Sit down." She stated firmly.

Dad looked like he wanted to argue but gave up and took a seat next to me. His eyes were still fixed on her backside as he sighed to himself, "This girl drives me crazy."

Cyrus and I were trying to control our laughter. 

"So..." I drawled in a low voice, leaning closer. "...when are you asking her out?"

His head snapped to me, eyes wide. "What?"

I didn't speak anything as Lorelei served our breakfasts and we thanked her after which she disappeared somewhere, probably to do some other work.

"Why would you say that?" Dad asked curiously.

For a thirty-three-year-old man and an almost billionaire, he was dumb.

"You like her dad. Or love her. Whatever."

"Agreed." Cyrus chirped in.

"What? No." A tint of pink coated his cheeks.

I was a hopeless romantic at heart and if I couldn't have my own love story, I could at least give my dad one.

"You keep watching her all the time," Cyrus spoke, stuffing his mouth with the waffles. "All. The. Time."

"You might not even listen to us but you agree to almost everything she says," I added.

"You get hyper every time she talks about leaving," Cyrus said.

"You care about her. A lot."

"And she is so sweet and kind-hearted and cute and beautiful. What's there not to like?" Cyrus's confrontation left him speechless.

He stared at his breakfast, a distant look in his eyes. "Your mom--"

"Mom's dead, Dad." It was harsh but I needed to say it. "And she is not coming back. I know you loved her and you miss her, we both do but...you gotta accept it that you deserve to be happy again."

"Except for the time you spend with uncle, you don't enjoy at all. You need a companion." Cyrus pointed out.

Dad swallowed hard and even refused to look at us. "I am too old--"

"You are just twelve years older than her. You need to ask her out." I interrupted.

Now he looked at us, looking flustered. "First of all, I am not taking any relationship advice from my fifteen years old son. Secondly, she will think I am a creepy, old, perverted man if I ask her out."